cycling

Aquarium Dude

I havent read the topic from start to finish, but this is what i do to cycle a new tank when i dont have a spare filter or anything to swap over to seed it.

I fill the tank with water and turn heater(s) and filter(s) on. Plant plants if needed aswell. Then i feed the tank flake food every night as if i was feeding a few small fish, then every few days i give it a little bit more and more, and then after a week or so i chuck in a couple hardy fish (usually some kind of cleanup crew) and let them settle in, then start adding things slowly, every couples weeks or so....

I *hardly* ever test my water so dont know if it works very well, but it has always worked for me. Nowadays i just chuck some extra sponge into my canister filter, and then when im ready i take water out of the same tank, and chuck the sponges in the new tank and i have an instantly cycled tank, heated and everything :)

You should only add salt to a freshwater aquarium when there is a disease problem. Do not add tonic salt. It is also not good for the plants, but does make a good general cure when something goes wrong, but its much better to give the problem fish a salt bath than to salt the aquarium. I'm a big fan of salt as a cure, but definately not as a water additive for a freshwater aquarium.

Any freshwater fish which requires tonic salt should have been culled when young. They dont have salt in the wild.

(Also note that tonic salt and table salt are both 'salt' as such)

Stress Zyme helps but its not needed. What helps more than anything else is seeding the tank, gravel from an established tank for example, or your plants (if you dont dip them in any chemicals that is), or some wool etc or similar from somebody elses setup. If you can find someone happy to donate to your cause, it'll speed things up a lot :)

• 3 weeks later...