Buy'n a RO\DI Unit

Volkster

I don't know all that much on RO\DI units other than the fact that they purify tap water and that it, IMO, is a must have for a SW tank. I get the basics on how it works, now it's the chosing part that I would like some opinions on.

As you may know buying locally is very expensive and for 1/2 the pice, including shipping, I can get a topline unit on ebay.

I think these are great value:

[uSD$199]

http://cgi.ebay.com/Reverse-Osmosis-Pro ... dZViewItem

and

[uSD$169]

http://cgi.ebay.com/Reverse-Osmosis-Aut ... dZViewItem

I take it that the auto shut-off system hooks up to your system and is used for top-offs. If this is the case I would'nt use this setup just yet but at some stage in the future I will.

The only difference, I can see, between the 2 is that the more expensive one has a built in Dual-inline TDS meter??

Are these worth it and if so which one would you recommend?

Thanks Guys :wink:

Hi Jeroen-

I checked out all these on Ebay as well and almost bought one, but I was worried about shipping costs, time involved with shipping, GST/customs charges, etc... making it more of a PITA than the gains achieved by the low list price. Did you have any problems at all with shipping? If you don't mind, what price did you pay overall?

If it wasn't in fact a PITA, then that is a great find! 8)

I ended up getting mine second hand for a couple hundred bucks. I think the LFS price was somewhere around $700. :o So, I'm sure you have that price beat by a mile!

Cheers,

Steve

I doubt getting a ro unit from overseas is an issue as it is not retailer’s core business and they would sell less than a few units a year and only supply them as a service to add value.

I think i have seen some at Hollywood fish farm for about $400. I don’t think it had the tds meter on it. I never use my tds meter.

By the time you land the $199us unit it will be over $400nzd with GST and freight. Also the US RO parts might no match the NZ parts if you need a replacement .

There are plenty of places in NZ that do RO units as it is their core business.

Nothing wrong with your post volkster just some people like to stir .

Thanks Reef :wink:

I prefer to support local stores too however we all know that this hobby has it's high prices and when it comes to some of the general equipment I don't mind shopping around...after all a RO unit, IMO, ain't a core component it's more a essentual if you kow what I mean - lol :D

I've had a look at the one Hollywood Fish Farm supply, it's a good unit but the thing that caught my eye on ebay was that for the same price I could get a complete automated system. I got a quote from a local RO store for around $750 for a complete automated sytem designed for Aquariums and as I am saving for a skimmer I decided against it...so I started doing a little more research and ended up here...hence why I posted the topic and as a noob I don't know alot about the RO units and wanted some advice...lol...round in circles I go... :lol:

I might just take my time on this one...

Thanks again :)

What about those of us that don't have a LFS?

Anyway, there are many places that sell RODI filters other than fish stores. I bought mine from a place called Wellington Water Filters. I don't remember the exact price, Prefilter, RO and DI totalled somewhere around $400ish.

What about those of us that don't have a LFS?

Anyway, there are many places that sell RODI filters other than fish stores. I bought mine from a place called Wellington Water Filters. I don't remember the exact price, Prefilter, RO and DI totalled somewhere around $400ish.

That is up to you if you dont have a LFS try LFS/wholesalers as they might courier items as it is all about getting exposure in the area to get people in the hobby

As i mentioned RO units are not LFS core business and there are many filter places that do RO units . Yellow pages is a good place to look.

does one look for in a RO unit? How can you tell that you're getting a good buy\product?

try these links

http://www.pwgazette.com/rofaq.htm

http://www.pwgazette.com/roremove.htm

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/links- ... t7074.html

info i found

Reverse osmosis units remove substantial amounts of most inorganic chemicals, such as salts, metals (including lead), asbestos, minerals, nitrates, and some organic chemicals, by allowing tap water to pass through a membrane and collecting the filtered water in a storage tank. Alone, reverse osmosis units are not recommended for use on microbiologically unsafe water.

Before you buy an reverse osmosis unit, be aware of its characteristics. Typically, about 75 percent of tap water put into the reverse osmosis system is wasted, so it may take 4 gallons or more of tap water to get one gallon of reverse osmosis filtered water. Also, the tap on the tank where the treated water is stored flows more slowly than the tap on your regular faucet. In addition, the most common membranes used in reverse osmosis units are subject to decay and failure and must be replaced periodically. Owners of reverse osmosis units should follow the manufacturer's recommendations about proper maintenance and use.

:bounce: Been doing some research and found that this is a very good buy:

Aquarium Reef 6 Stage 110GPD RO+2DI water filtration

3 replacement filters for the unit

Inline Pressure Gauge 0 to 300 psi

Inline Dual TDS monitor

4G Tank

The total, for the unit, comes to NZ$305 :D

Can see the Unit here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/RO6102DINT-Aquarium-Reef-110GPD-RO-2DI-water-filtration_W0QQitemZ120013121502QQcategoryZ46310QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

However...you get hit with a whopping NZ$250 :( for shipping, but it still works out cheaper :P and it is a 6 stage + accessories with refills :bounce:

Shipping is NZS$125 per box, if you get the unit + accessories minus the refills and tank, it will all come in 1 box @ NZ$225 + shipping = NZ$350 all up...not bad eh?

Any thoughts or comments on this?

If under $400NZ then no GST on personal imports. However, consider replacement membranes and filter elements. You'd need to be sure these were available locally or you'll need to stock spares. Also, importing spare parts is likely to cost the same again in freight every time you need them, not to mention the shipping delay - when you need water it has to be available. Long term, it's likely to cost a crap-load more to run than buying one at twice the price that's locally supported... I purchased my 4 stage RO locally for $250 and it costs me $80 a year (approx) to run in spare parts. Work out what this unit is likely to cost to run each year (including freight) and see if it's worth it over 2-5 years or longer. I've been using RO for 10+ years now so replacement membranes and filters are the largest part of the cost. The initial purchase is nothing...

If under $400NZ then no GST on personal imports.

Correct :) and the GST law does not include shipping, it's the purchase of the product.

consider replacement membranes and filter elements. You'd need to be sure these were available locally or you'll need to stock spares. Also, importing spare parts is likely to cost the same again in freight every time you need them, not to mention the shipping delay - when you need water it has to be available.

The replacement can be bought locally - made sure of that. At first the cost are cheaper to source the first replacement stock with the unit, from here I'll purchase them locally. I worked out that if I buy the replacement components locally I only save NZ$15. The replacement components sourced from US + shipment ended up being NZ$165 compared to $150 in NZ so not that much of a difference.

do you really need a 6 stage? 4 should be more than ok.

From what I've read having an extra carbon filter removes any excess chlorine resulting in longer life of the membrane and cleaner water & having an extra DI unit removes any excess dissolved solids. All in all good water quality and a very good price :) and better for the aquarium :bounce:

I'm a noob at this all so more information you can give with experience will be muchly appreciated :wink:

Is there much of a difference in water quality when comparing the 2 Units?

Correct and the GST law does not include shipping, it's the purchase of the product.

Are you sure?

Calculation of Customs Charges

Where applicable, Customs duty is levied on the transaction value of the goods (the price actually paid for them). Goods and Services Tax (GST) of 12.5 percent is then calculated on the duty-inclusive value plus international freight and/or insurance charges.

Volkster, You might wanna check out this website from Australia.

http://www.psifilters.com.au/Reverse%20Osmosis%20Laundry.htm

In particular, check out the PSI-019B-DI or the PSI-020B-DI-GM. I got myself the PSI-019B-DI with TDS meter. Literally all of the reefers from Aussie buys the RO/DI unit from this guy. You get a 10% discount if you are a member of the forum from http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB2/. Good service and a great guy to talk to. Shipping from Tasmania to NZ shouldn't cost too much. Should be a lot cheaper than US and easier to get parts too.

Did some calling around and got some questions answered :) There is no real difference in the water quality output between a stage 4 -> stage 6 units. The main reason why one would want a higher staged unit would depend on what the local tap water quality is. The extra filter basically filters out what the 1st filter didn't. i.e. Having 2 Carbon Filters or 2 DI filters, etc. So for most of us a stage 4 would be suffice :wink:

Hope that helps some people in their descision making. I tell ya, a simle unit like this can get quite confusing to understand for a noob :lol:

Out with the stage 6 and back to the drawing board for me :lol: