Julidochromis transcriptus

JoandWilly

Females are larger... and fatter... be very careful they are very sensitive to water change.. also states this on various information about them (even tho Tanganyikans are, these guys are a little more sensitive in that area)

Also they are can be VERY aggressive, even more so than J. marlieri (they make them look like puppy dogs) Definately more aggression shown in transcriptus tank compared.

Agreed with afrikan. I have a few young growing up, from my original group the only female has killed 2 others. At the moment i have got 3 males and a female, and she breeds even 7-10 days, unless you disturb them somehow (thats what i did) :cry:

I saw pairing activity at about 4-5cm. somewhere in december

As Afrikan said.

When I was a lfs kick about we had a guy called Rod Pick supply us with a few different types of Julies. For all the Julis keepers, this may be a good link to look at, very knowledgeable julie keeper, great set up... Rod has even had Ad Konnings visit his house :o 8)

http://www.members.iinet.net.au/[email protected]/julidochromis.htm

Frenchy :D

Ok, :lol: Maybe your knowledge be better spent in reading posts properly. :wink:

I didn't realise that you asked the original question, oh you didn't. To which Mekhaela replied, to which I confirmed what Mekhaela had said. :roll: It's nice to confirm what others say, which I seem to do with some & not others :wink::P Sorry couldn't help myself.

As a guess, it would be a case of your Julies got imported as Julidochromis transcriptus & that is all you can call them. No variant.

Another sexing tip, seeing as you know you could of added Tropheus, is that Males have a more pointed papilla slanting to the rear.

It seems in every post you " just cant but help myself" :wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink:

So does anyone else have an idea, that has these in NZ, what type (variant) they have?.

As a guess, it would be a case of your Julies got imported as Julidochromis transcriptus & that is all you can call them. No variant.

?????No Variant! Iam sure we should be able to find out what variant we have in this country.

Tropheus, quote...

Like any Julidochromis once they pair off watch the others or else. Unless you have about 50 in a tank which works for me

Well wouldn't you know then. I mean you have more than anyone else.

Tell ya what. I am really a nice guy 8) enjoy taking the piss, that is all. Send me a photo. I will show someone who has bred these for mulitple years & see what he thinks.

My point before was.... that if they were imported without a variant, then they aren't able to called a variant. No variant means old school, therefore they came from here....

Matthes, 1959 - from populations at the northern end of the lake between Luhanga and Pemba.

You have to find what they came in as.

Sorry to Jo & Willy. I suggest you 2 have a look at the link, well worth it. He's the guy for julies & info. I forward onto to Mekhaela too, she liked.

Also where I used to work...

http://www.wetpetz.com/julmarlieri.htm

Special breeding notes, must read.

Yeah i guess you would have 50 odd when you have three breeding pairs that breed non stop.

Gee Frenchy, What has numbers got to do with the question I asked.

Pretty simple question really. WHAT VARIANT AND PHOTOS. Not to hard to understand.

Nothing to do with numbers and how you like taking the piss out of everyone.

Oh and if anyone wants some J.Marlieri there will be some available at a LFS in akld. Just PM me for details

I think possibly the confusion there was that ages you had posted on a thread I started on J transcriptus and you had said about having 50 J's in a tank and it worked for you, so it was easy for Frenchy to have thought you were referring to J trans, since it was a J trans thread.

Oh my oh my. I better sue Cichlid-forum re misinformation. Better still they better close down their site.

Blah blah blah it just never stops. You really must have a lonely life.

Thanks Rcon021. Thats all I wanted from the start but for some reason some people just want to "keep taking the piss".

I guess what ever we read we just cant believe.

Oh gee, we have variants now. They must have popped up over night.

Julidochromis transcriptus (Katoto), i am not 100% sure, but will post pictures tonight

If this is based solely on what they look like? If so then it proves nothing.

I said Transcripts no variant, as that is what I was told they were imported into NZ as. From a pretty reliable source too.

If some did come in with a variant, then that is good news. 8)

Oh my oh my. I better sue Cichlid-forum re misinformation. Better still they better close down their site.

Why is that? Just incase you are talking about marlieri....

Julidochromis marlieri are broken down into these varients; Magara, Halembe, Kala, Katili, Samazi, Kambwimba, Isanga, Cape Tembwe, or Katoto.

That is exactly where I got this info from, backed up from another source here.

So what did you get your marlieri as, can't be Burundis now can it?

I guess what ever we read we just cant believe.

Blah blah blah it just never stops

Especially if you post rubbish like J. marlieri "Burundi"

I would be a bastard to all those concerned, that if I knew better & I let comments like that slide. Correct?

Yeah I can see Burundi in that link but in the article on them http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/j_marlieri.php it has no mention of burundi only Magara, Halembe, Kala, Katili, Samazi, Kambwimba, Isanga, Cape Tembwe, or Katoto...

It seems there is some contridiction on cichlid-forum or I dont understand fully whats going on.. I no pretty much no geography on the lake..

If fish what ever type is imported and variant is important like Africans and killis unless it is blasingly obvious ( and even then it is dangerous )you can't give it a location name other then the year it was imported and any subsequent imports should be given a separate year to identtafiy them.

And they should never be crossed unless there is NO other choose other then lossing them.

This is the HARD stance used by killi breeders around the world and the same applies to Africans.

I AM NOT TAKING ANY ONES SIDE, but I am a killi breeder and I live and die by that rule, NO EXCEPTIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. As it can only lead to confusion.