December 28, 200322 yr comment_12130 G'Day (geesh, I just cant help myself) One of my web site admin buddies told me about you guys, and being that you are a little closer to home (than the U.S.) I thought I should have a look and say hi... I have been keeping fish for almost 10 years and am currently reknowned around the globe as the freak who swims nakey with his pet purple fish dude in any tank that I can fit in (just kidding - but that is kinda my trademark)... I also feel that I have a little Kiwi in my blood as I was fortunate enough through my last job to have spent at least one week in NZ every month for almost 3 yrs... So having been to EVERY region over there, and driven the length of both islands at least 25 times I am as good as gold with the local scene... "Choice hey..." What do I keep, well, where do I start... Poecilia velifera - Sailfin Molly - Yucatan region, Mexico Poecilia sphenops - Black Molly - Central & Sth America (Mexico to Colombia) Poecilia reticulata - Guppy - Sth America, Brazil, Guyanas (show quality) Xiphophorus helleri - Swordtail - Central America, Africa Ancistrus temminckii - Bristlenosed Catfish - Amazon Ancistrus Hoplogenys - Bristlenosed Peppermint Catfish - Rio Negro region, Amazon Paracheirodon innesi - Neon Tetra - Eastern Peru Paracheirodon axlerodi - Cardinal Tetra - Venezuala, Brazil, Colombia Hyphessobrycon rosaceus - Rosy Tetra - Rio Guapore region, Sth America Botia macracantha - Clown Loach - Sumatra, Borneo Acanthorphthalmus kuhli - Kuhli Loach - Sumatra, Java, Borneo Barbus tetrazona - Tiger Barb - Asia, Africa Balantiocheilus melanopterus - Bala/Silver Shark - Asia Gyrinocheilus aymonieri - Chinese Algae Eater - Asia Symphysodon aequifasciatus - Discus - Sth America, Amazon, Peru Michrogeophagus ramirezi - Gold Ram - Venezuela, Columbia and I have a couple of tanks... 1 x 5g 1 x 15g 1 x 17g 9 x 22g 1 x 25g 1 x 30g 2 x 35g 1 x 70g 2 x 95g ...soon to be added 180g or 220g and that does not include tubs, etc... (if all tanks are in operation plus the growout tubs, over 900g/3400lt) Basically you could say I am addicted... If ever you feel like a laugh, feel free to drop into the lounge at my site, we are just nearing completion of a major upgrade, with many forums to have content added... some of you might be familier with some of my sister sites (run by some very, very good friends) PlantGeek.net & FishInThe.net OK, thats enough of me blabbering... hope everyone here had a fantastic Christmas, and all the best for the New Year... MM Report
December 28, 200322 yr comment_12131 Hi mollyman and welcome to the fishroom. Good to see you. Any friend of plantgeeks is a friend of ours I think we will make you an honorary kiwi since you have probably seen more of NZ than most who actually live here - particularly the Aucklanders Report
December 28, 200322 yr Author comment_12132 Thanks Caryl... I read that article that mentioned PG.net (Off-Ice shot me a copy) AWESUM!!! oh, and dont start me on the Auckland factor... I mean come on, why have a Freeway from the biggest airport in NZ that just stops half way to the city... HULLO??? McFLY!!! lol Report
December 29, 200322 yr comment_12138 another welcome to you Mollyman. From a hot dry mid canterbury Report
December 29, 200322 yr comment_12140 Welcome Mollyman......................................from northland :lol: sue Report
December 30, 200322 yr Author comment_12185 Thanks guys.. oh... Happy New Year, not many hours to go... Report
March 16, 200422 yr Author comment_15556 well... been quite busy of late... setting up a specific site just for Discus lovers in our part of the world... http://www.discusforums.com and am about to come over and torment some of the locals down on the Sth Island (actually... in only 3 days time)... Question; what are the best options for prepaid internet??? being that I will pretty much stay in hiding around ChCh, Te Anau & the Glaciers??? any suggestions greatly appreciated. Report
March 17, 200422 yr comment_15585 Welcom to the Fishroom from another canterbury resident :lol: I live about 45mins from CHCH Report
March 17, 200422 yr comment_15589 hi mollyman as you can see us southerners are more friendly than our norther folk welcome from Dunedin Report
March 17, 200422 yr comment_15590 Hi Mollyman - welcome!! If you yell out g'day as you pass through the South Island one of us is bound to hear you! Love the sites - nice also to have them in a familiar set-up. I'm looking at another tank and discus are headed to the top of the list so great to see some of the pix as can get only a limited idea from the odd shop here. Was eagerly awaiting the download of your guppy/peppermint b/n tank as we have been hearing alot about peppermints at this end recently but they do not seem to be around in NZ - shame I couldn't see any - camera shy? Sorry no advice on the prepaid internet thing for you but if you do get hooked up - pop into chat around 9.00 pm and a few of us will be there. Enjoy your "home-coming" Report
March 17, 200422 yr comment_15593 Valuenet would be your best bet I think (although ChCh itself may have a local provider I don't know about since I don't live there) as they offer 3 months for $30 with a limit of 80 hours per month. Ought to give you enough time to keep up with your emails and spend time in here :lol: Report
March 17, 200422 yr Author comment_15600 Thanks... My Minties do get a little camera shy at times... actually they are staking out nests at the moment... I have 2-3 confirmed pairs, well, if they class as pairs anyway, and the rest just fight for pole position... here is what you couldnt see in the big tank pic... ...more pics can be found HERE!!! Report
March 17, 200422 yr comment_15604 they got peppermint b/ns in the lfs here but they $46ea ?!?! Damn, I want some!! Report
March 17, 200422 yr Author comment_15606 considering a 3-4cm juvie here retails for AU$70 I would be snapping up every last one at NZ$46... Direct from the breeder here AU$30-35 is the going rate... Report
March 17, 200422 yr comment_15607 You better do something about the bad case of white spot though! :lol: Report
March 17, 200422 yr Author comment_15608 oh... someone help me off the floor... fits of laughter can be dangerous... :lol: Report
March 18, 200422 yr comment_15626 The supposed peppermint cats that I've seen for sale here have all been pale imitations compared to Mollyman's fish. If the ones here even came close to those ones in the pictures I would have bought some, the ones I've seen though have the common bristlenose mottled dark gray with minute whitespots (so that it does actually look like a case of whitespot) and no trim on the fins. Report
March 18, 200422 yr Author comment_15629 Rob, as they age the trim of the dorsal and caudal fin fade... They also turn a charcoal grey colour when under stress or in bad water conditions, although they are quite hardy and usually adapt to the water and colour up over a few days. But the white spots stay clearly visible, the first pic is one of my minties after 18mths, as you can see the dorsal trim has almost gone, but the spots are clearly visible... The 4-5 Large ones I have are very easily identifiable due to the clear spots, and pure black body... HTH Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.