Planted Tank Substrates

lduncan

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use river sand from tha local nursary (next to Petworld in Smith St). Seive out the larger stuff with a large kitchen seive and wash. Mix unwashed fine sand with JBL micronutrient (daltons aquatic mix is probably as good and cheaper). Place washed fine gravel over mix and fill carefully into jug on plate to avoid disturbing too much. Add JBL nutrient balls under Echinodorus sp. I have a number of Echinodorus sp. thriving this way. I find Crypts from Sri Lanka like walkeri, wendtii and petchi as well as from Tailand like balansae do OK with this set up as they don't need soft acid water.

I'm surprised there aren't many opinionated freshwater keepers chiming in. Must be more mellow than the reefers. :wink:

LOL, yeah, notice how earlier in the thread there was a misunderstanding and they were all very polite and apologetic.

The reason I am setting up my tank again as a planted tank instead of setting up a reef is for the relaxation and calming effect of the fresh water tank, it has far less movement purely because the water isnt turning over at 100x.

Looks a lot like std quadricostatus to me. I've never had quadricostatus var. magdalenensis before so I don't know exactly what it looks like. The std version I had looked just like the photo's above. Also not too sure about what other variants of this plant there are. Many of the swords in NZ are hybrids...

John at Organism would be the exception, he really has got things looking good there, a really high standard, in a league of it's own. It would be great to see other shops around town raise their standards to match.

I second that and totally agree.. the plants I bought off him a few years back (4?) are still surviving and growing.. But the point, everything in his shop is personally taken cared for by John. Who is very picky on the condition of almost everything.. we need more shops with personal touches like that IMO..

I have a number of the smaller swords from various sources and have been trying to identify them but they send runners but no flowers

I've been doing some reading on Echinodorus sp. and some people induce flowering by altering the photoperiod. I guess you've tried that?

Have a look a few posts back in this section under Plant ID please. I thought the plant was (and still do) Eichornia azurea, but Plantman thought it might be Tonina. I have not seen Eusteralis, but talk to Bob Ward at Redwood about Eichornia azurea (first cousin to water hyacinth but permitted as I understand) Needs strong light-- I used to sell it to the shops years ago. Bob had grown it to the surface where it converted to emersed and flowered ( not easy)

I don't have Mayaca but I think I saw it in a few shops in Jaffatown last year-- you might have to talk nicely to the locals or contact Pupuke as they are pretty good with plants. I grow verticillata emersed but it is easy to convert to submersed. If you want to go planted you don't want to wait too long as plants will start getting harder to obtain in about a month.

I grow verticillata emersed but it is easy to convert to submersed.

Does it grow submersed as a low foreground plant?

If you want to go planted you don't want to wait too long as plants will start getting harder to obtain in about a month.

Why is that?