Green algae

eden

Hi guys Eden here agian with yet another algae problem. The othe day I noticed a few bubbles being suspended by what looked like the mucice that my anenome produces whilst feeding but did'nt think to much of it at the time. But now a couple of days later there is now a considerible amount of this very bright dark green slim spread around the tank and more bubbles have appeared. I recently just started using liquid coral food for the anenome could this be a contributing factor. Could any one help me out with this unattractive problem.

I await your flow of Knolege :lol:

Could this algae just be from too much sun light/food something like that or could this be something a bit more serious like toxic amonia build up?!!!!

I bought some different test kits to see if the others arn't contaminated and were working properly, I also don't have a nitrate test kit but I do regular water changes so that really shouldn't be a problem (i hope !!) I'll gety one soon though.

My mollies eat this slime when they get hungry and they seem to be fine so it can not be toxic.

But I'd still like to try and get rid of it cause its sooooo ugly :o.

Hi Eden, first my disclaimer: I have never had a marine tank.

How long have you had the tank set up?

How much natural light does the tank receive?

How about posting your water chem results?

I take it the tank is fully marine in salinity?

How are your mollies doing? I thought they were fresh to brackish fish.

Hi Eden,

Its not cyanobacteria is it? If it is it has 2 possible causes. If there is absolutely not nitrate content in the water, but a small excess of carbonate and phosphate, cyanobacteria can lock the nitrogen disolved in the water to complete its food requirements. If there is just an excess of phosphate this can also cause cyanobacteria or green algae. Excess nitrate can also cause green algae.

Cyanobacteria certainly coats things and has bubbles on its surface if you have intense lighting.

You should check the new food you are using. Find out what its phosphate content is and compare it against the daily requirement for your inverts. If there is an excess it will do 2 things. One, create algae. Two, precipitate dissolved Calcium out of the water. Niether are good.

Hey Eden.

First, don't worry about it!!

Very rarely is algae a problem. I'll-be-it, ugly at times, but rarely harmful.

I've had dozens of tanks where this "think green algae with bubbles" appears.

I do one of things:

1. Add another high-power-jet (with air)

2. Buy a tang (any tang should do the job), unless you have sensitive marine creatures

3. Let it grow

4. Reduce the time my fillament light is on (but watch closely the other critters to make sure there is no induced shock)

5. Buy a squire fish (same disclaimer as above), unless you have other -small- fish

6. As Warren hinted at... check your nitrate levels and do a water change, if necessary!

My favorites of the above are:

Check water quality, and, Let it grow!

• 3 months later...