Leopard Fish

Paula

Did you read the link Caryl? It just mentioned them as "Potential Pests" and my comment was based on that link, though that admitingly was probably in warmer waters! Sorry to get your heckels up!

6 months ago I was given 8 and I now have more than 50 (and I'm not counting them) which seems like fairly quick breeding considering half were males.

6 months ago I was given 8 and I now have more than 50 (and I'm not counting them) which seems like fairly quick breeding considering half were males.

So out of 4 females came 50 babies in 6 months? That is 2 babies per female per month. Not fast - as I said :lol:

And wilson - I would not recommend these with WCMM. Every single baby will be hunted down and eaten by the monsters! They are fairly slow when small and I think that is why they have so few surviving babies.

• 2 weeks later...

Leopardfish/Jordanella for sale!

Carla has some fish for sale in the North islan. ($6 for Jordanella and I think $4 for leopardfish)

I'm looking to combine an order to ship to chch to split shipping costs.

Anyone out there from chch prepared to place an order please see the link below for details.

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/viewto ... 196#236196

PS: Wilson I was told that jordanellas would be fine with my WCMM's and they're good at eating algae too.. that's what I want them for!

I'm not concerned about whether they breed or not...if you wanted to increase your chances of breeding them you could always temporarily separate some out when the time was right.

I've read on several different sites that Jordanellas can handle fairly low temps. Some report down to 8 degrees but most seem to say around 16 (which means that indoors are probably pretty safe without a heater)

These fish can be found naturally in some parts of florida, where they can get some decent winter cold spells. They can be found elsewhere as well but I didn't commit those bits to memory :-?

• 3 weeks later...