Pond liner

Brianemone

My pond was made using black pond liner, the stuff you buy at the Warehouse. It works well as long as you put sand or something between it and the earth so as not to get holes. It is also good for if you decide to remove or redo your pond in any way. The downfalls are that holes can appear and leak (although I had my first one for 7 years before replacing it and that was only to upsize); the black colour can heat up the pond if there is not enuf shade; its hard to stand in it if u need to do maintenance ie it is very slippery. But it it a cheap and hardy alternative.

Concrete can gives u a bit more flexibility. It is not slippery. You will have to age the concrete before putting fish etc in. And of course it is a bit more permanent and possibly requires more work if you decide to upsize your pond.

A friend of mine has a huge manmade pond that he lined with clay. It is very effective and natural. He has both waterfowl and goldfish living in his pond. I dont know much about how he did it etc. though.

Another friend uses those big round concrete troughs for her goldfish. The upside to these is that you dont need to dig them into the ground so less labour involved :wink:

Nways there are my views :) Good luck with ur pond, wateva way u decide to make it.

only ever used pond liner myself, there is two different grade [thickness] form memory its $20 per sq meter for the cheapest grade. its easy and flexible enough so i could do it my self which is the reason i choose it.

if u go concrete its best to seal with pond paint which is not the cheapest stuff. i am not sure if caryl did though

My parents had a pond they built, about 3m x 2m x 0.5m. Filled with river rocks, goldfish, lillies etc

They found the pond lining was unreliable, and if they got a tiny hole the pond would start draining. The end result was to use pond liner, then covered with rocks and concrete. They didn't paint the concrete etc, so I'm guessing the fish didn't mind the high pH (goldfish).

Another important lesson they learned was drainage. Water either from the pond being overflowed or dripping or whatever was causing the area to be always damp and muddy, so one of those plastic drainage tubes was installed under the pond when it was redone in concrete. The pipe went to a lower part of the section and worked a treat.