The big schuran calcium reactor jet stream 2

reef

Today my big present arrived,

I would love to get the thing going ,Only problem , i dont have any media?

Over the past year i have had problems keeping up kh/cal. just a pain to add 15-20 tablespoons of buffer a day.

Cant wait to get the thing going.

As space is a problem i went for the Schuran over the Deltec. Hanging the thing on the wall is a big plus.

jet-stream-2.jpg

Reef what is the investment? And what do you expect in return for this $$$$? What I want to know is why do I want one. I alway like new toys.

I want my corals to grow and not add buffer and calcium everyday.

The schuran reactors are the best around, very well made and feedback is pretty good .

It comes with a nice price tag of over $1000

nice link Chimera :D . make sure you give it a good read and apply on your web site .

Please enlighten us to the link you posted?

Got the reactor going after a few problems, if there were any as it seems that the bubbles inside is normal.

The reactor does make a noise especially with the eheim 1260 running it and the bubbles going thru it.

Co2 is set at 2 bubbles/sec. will test kh coming out after a day to see how high it is,

Will also have to get the shutoff valve installed over the week.

pics to come

Reef is this just a HUGE CA reator?

what do you mean?

The schuran reactor has the ability to remove carbonic acid which is not good for your tank and causes low ph.

Also can you run a CA reator with dead coarl bits?

You can if it does not leach phosphates. This reactor needs 10-15mm calcium media as if too fine it will turn to dust.

They say bigger the media the better as you get better water circulation and avoid the reactor clogging up.

before i used the media i bleach it with chlorine for 30 mins to clean, then washed it with water.

Next step is to add night shut off valve.

keen to see how you go about doing this Reef, im thinking of adding one to my Ca reactor to help reduce ph droping while the lights are out, i have a pc light over my sump on reverse cycle but i still get a big drop.

is there an off the shelf item that you are thinking of useing or will it be a custome made job?

i will get the shut off valve when i get the reactor going correctly,

Still having problems with air bubbles inside the reactor, could be the first skimmer/calcium reactor combined :D

For the shut off valve all you need is a solinoid valve and a timers.

Ok we are up and running, stopped most of the bubbles, still bubbles but that is normal.

here are some pics

P1010034.jpg

P1010035.jpg

This was before with all the foam

schuran2close.jpg

so will see how it runs over the next few weeks.

Will add a solinod valve soon. turning off teh co2 at night manually.

this is how the schuran reactor should work, it is not air, its co2,

the bubbles are way lower than before as i did not let all the air out so before it was working like a skimmer and foaming inside.

Schuran sent me a photo of the commercial units and they also have bubbles inside which is co2 not air.

wasp it is not cloudy, just a bad pic.

will test in a few days to see what is coming out.