Brine shrimp

ajbroome

Great reading Andrew,

I love this bit...

The dehydrated cysts tolerate a much wider temperature range, which never occurrs in nature: absolute zero (-273° C) to almost 100° C.
I'm here wondering if the eggs I have will last out, or if I am keeping them too warm... or cold :):)

They sound almost indistructable. :)

Choice pics as well.

Thanks for the link.

There are quite a few things that can survive being sub freezing temps. I don't think once you're past where everything actually freezes that the rest of the way to absolute zero matters much. But, I don't think most of those that can survive freezing actually completely freeze, I mean most of their non-solid bits probably aren't below the point where they become solid bits on a microscopic level. But bacteria can probably survive, viruses almost definitely.

We're not talking about normal sub-zero temperatures. The few creatures that do survive below freezing only generally survive down to about -20C. These brine shrimp cysts may be able to tolerate lower temperatures than that, but I doubt that any cyst frozen to anywhere below -100C, at any freezing speed, could possibly survive.