Bristlenoses and Metronidazole??

brishe

I am off to the vet today with our gourami, lol! because i suspect several of our fish including our beloved bristlenoses have hexamita.

I am hoping that he will prescribe metronidazole, does any one know if any of the following fish are sensitive to it.

Neon tetras

Rainbow tetra

gouramis

Bristlenoses (adults)

Any advice on the best way to treat them?

Sharn has already given me some great info, any other opinions or do's and dont's would be much appreciated.

(The full story is under "disease in our tank?" ---Diseases.

Well i went to the vets on friday, as suspected the vet had no idea about fish but he was very interested and gave me the metronidazole.

Yesterday i set all of our fish up in another tank with a heater, and filter, air stone but the filter packed up last night.

The water is so cloudy i cant even see the fish unless they are up against the glass.

The water levels are ok, Ammonia nil, ph up slightly 7.4, nitrite nil.

I did a water change today about 25%,

some of the fish are acting a bit strange, disorientated, one neon not looking good.

Am i doing this right, i dont want to lose any fish. i was going to do just three doses of metro, 12 hours apart and then put them back.

They were not heavily infested i dont think.

Vets can be nice people sometimes. I tried to buy some formaldehyde from the chemist to get rid of planaria and he said he didn't have it but could get it in for about $40.00. Went to the vet and left a message with the receptionist after explaining what I was wanting it for and got what I wanted plus a syringe to measure it with for $5.00

The dose rate for Met is:

1. 500mg per 100L of tank water. Raise temp by 3'C, Treatment is for 3 days, no need to re-dose. When the treatment is finished, 30% water change + activated carbon added to filter. Wait five days and repeat the entire treatment.

2. 250mg Met added to 100g of food. Feed twice daily for 6 days.

The dose rate for Met is:

1. 500mg per 100L of tank water. Raise temp by 3'C, Treatment is for 3 days, no need to re-dose. When the treatment is finished, 30% water change + activated carbon added to filter. Wait five days and repeat the entire treatment.

2. 250mg Met added to 100g of food. Feed twice daily for 6 days.

I have just put all the fish back in main tank as 3 neons died and other fish not looking great.

Not long enouugh to finish course? Maybe i should of just left them in main tank and treated that??

The fish seem to be gasping for oxygen, they have an air stone, filter etc

I have stuffed up somewhere along the way.

If they are eating, try the medicinal food method. It's not as hard on the fish. Get some frozen food and thaw it until just mushy. Depending on the type of food you may even be able to mix it in while still frozen. I use Discus tucker as most fish seem like it. If you already make your own frozen food, just us a bit of that.

Mix powdered tablets into the food really well and re-freeze. Make sure the tablets are powdered extremely finely.

You can then treat the fish in the tank directly with very little of the Met getting into the water. As it's internal parasites you're targeting so it's also a lot more effective than treating the water. After six days do a good sized water change and add carbon to the filter to remove any traces of the Met.

Thanks for that warren, i might try that. they seem to be eating really well.

change of plan!!

today two of the fish are not eating so i have decided to give the tank treatment again without removing the fish and see how that goes, the bristlenose just has a constant string of clear mucous hanging out, and is not as lively as usual, so i need to do something, what is the safest high temperature i can have?, our tank is at 27already.

Slowly raise it 1'C at a time to max of 29'C. Increase aeration and/or surface movement as the oxygen level drops as temp goes up. If the fish show further distress, drop the temp a little. Higher temp just speeds up the process by increasing the metabolism of both the fish and parasite. If you find you can't go up by 3'C then add an extra day to the treatment time. Leave the 5 day rest period the same though.

Slowly raise it 1'C at a time to max of 29'C. Increase aeration and/or surface movement as the oxygen level drops as temp goes up. If the fish show further distress, drop the temp a little. Higher temp just speeds up the process by increasing the metabolism of both the fish and parasite. If you find you can't go up by 3'C then add an extra day to the treatment time. Leave the 5 day rest period the same though.

thanks warren, i think i will just have to wait it out an extra day, the rainbow tetra is not eating now and my smaller gourami not looking so good today, but the bristlenoses are really active today and eating great, so i dont want to stress them out any further.

The big male gourami is picking on the female no end which i think is the reason why she is not doing well, but i am in a spot as i cant add any more females to the tank until i have finished treatment.

The ph has gone up fron 7.0 to 7.4, do i need to worry about that?

thats the dosage i use too ryan (400mg/40L but every 8-12 hours with 30-50% w/c before each new dose), thats for fish with severe infestations that arent eating.

if they are eating i read 250mg/40L was to be used, i would reccomend making up some food with it though as thats going to be more effective.

the dosages i have read of were generally for discus (thats what i was treating), im not sure if that makes any difference.

Oh my goodness! this fish hobby is turning out to be really stressfull.

I have treated the tank, the fish have had a three day course, i have had to stop short of the fourth day as the fish were really stressed out, the neons and the tetras were not eating and seemed to be gasping for oxygen, so was my big gourami, the female gourami is still not looking great, she either sits on the bottom of the tank or floats around sideways at the surface, she can still swim around and will eat aswel every morning.

Each day i expect to find her dead but she keeps going, i dont know whats wrong with her or what i should do.

The other fish look great today, no signs of hex so i will treat them again in five days.