Goldie Haven....

Fizgig777

Cute tank :)

With the miracle of climate control as seen in the States, "cold water" indoors means something very different than here. A tank stays at room temps, which is normally 75 degrees fahrenheit - about 24 degrees celcius. A bit warm for goldfish, but unless they go outside there isn't much colder. Danios are perfectly fine at this temp and lower.

Love the anubias nana! Is there more than one type in there?

To answer concerns.... (I'm not a novice, so I do know what I'm doing with these fish, by the way).... First off, they never reached maximum size because they were rescued from the feeder section at a large chain pet store... improper diet as youngsters and being kept in a 25 gallon tank with about 200 other fish did stunt them... it wasn't my doing, but they deserve a happy life regardless and that is what they have now. They were over a year old when I rescued them, so the stunting was pretty permanent. They have not, however, had any illnesses in their lives and are perfectly happy, healthy, and active.

Moving on... The other tank residents are not true tropicals... I did mention what they were. The tank minimum temp. is 72 degrees (F) with the use of a 200 watt heater. The max. temp. never exceeds 74 degrees (F). On top of that, the two goldies never did well in water below 70 degrees. The other residents thrive at these temps. So, no, it isn't a mix of coldwater and tropical fish... it is a mix of fish that do best at the temp. needed for the Goldfish to thrive... The Danios were added because they prefer the lower temps. that the goldies like anyway.

Aquarium size concerns.... This one is a 22 gallon tank (US), which, even according to Goldfish keeping "law" is more than adequate. And considering these fish have reached maximum size for them (not for the species), they have plenty of room. It is also a dual filter setup with each filter managing between 175-200 GPH.

The Anubias... Yes, there are four diff't types of it in the aquarium - mini, nana, coffefolia, and reg. Silvania is also present, free floating.

As a note for the sake of saying it: Please don't assume that everyone who has Goldfish keeps them in inadequate conditions... it is an offense to those who have been in the hobby and know what they're doing.

On a more positive note, thank you for looking, voicing your concerns, and your positive feedback especially.

I never thought you were keeping your fish in inadequate conditions. I was merely curious as to the poor size of the goldfish and your answer explains it fully and makes their size perfectly understandable. They certainly look fit and healthy and no offence was meant.

The reason I asked what size the tank was is that if it was actually bigger than it looked then so, possibly, were the fish. :D

Goldfish here are used to much colder conditions than you apparently keep them there. My goldfish are outside and cope with down to 24F in winter and up to 97F in summer.

I have the Anubias nana and it is one of my favourite plants. Not sure if the other varieties are available here but I am sure Blueandkim will know :wink:

The rules for Goldfish apply everywhere... There are the odd and/or rare cases where they don't apply as they should. That is the situation with Patches and 2Spot. They should be fine in cold water, but they don't do well at all... it's not about conditioning them or anything like that...

The aquarium was torn down and bleached heavily before it was transported three hours and came to my place. So it is a completely new setup. There was no old or dirty stuff used -- since I believe that is a disaster in the making and have seen way too many fish die because of that particular practice advocated in the hobby. The cycle was started from scratch.

Ya know... I'm not gonna argue the point... I've been keeping fish for many years, I know what a cycle is and I know how to get a tank there more efficiently... if people can't buy that or accept that the old idealogy isn't necessarily correct anymore, it's their loss in waiting weeks, sometimes months to cycle a tank... frankly, I don't have that problem... I can cycle a tank in 2hrs. This one took a bit longer because the equipment and substrate had been very heavily bleached. The tank is FULLY cycled. I mean, seriously, there are so many ways to seed a tank aside from throwing garbage (old filter media and dirty substrate) and ammonia in it. But anyway.....

Check the parameters of the tank and you know when a tank is cycled... Take a look even through the forums here and I'm sure you will find information on what those parameters are to determine that a tank is done cycling.

I also didn't say it was the norm that Goldfish should be kept at higher temps., but I think after owning them for 8 years, I would know what conditions these two do best in... and when I say they don't do well in cold water, it would be nice to be taken at my word... It's not like it was a random decision on my part.... I put them in at low temps. and they didn't do well... once the temp. was raised, slowly, and reached the 70's is where they were the happiest and showed the best colors and behaviors. And now that they came back into my care, they don't have to suffer through the whole cold water process again when I know full well they would not thrive. Besides that it's simply not true that all Goldfish are cold water fish. In fact, MOST are not. Without knowing if the fish come from pure stock for the type they're supposed to be, one cannot make that assumption and let the fish suffer because they're supposed to survive in a certain set condition. There are many cases of goldies that should be cold water tolerant dying in temps. below 60... and the opposite is also true with fancies that die at temps. above 75.

Glad some liked the photos though, and could appreciate that the fish are well cared for now...

Ok then, how do you cycle a tank in 2 hours?

Did you test for nitrite and nitrate?

I really should clarify what we're saying by 'cycle' though. The term 'cycle' is used to describe the process of the nitrifying bacteria to build up the population to levels capable to dealing with the fish waste. Its a naturally occuring process that can take up to 6 weeks.

Most people use fish as the ammonia source to kick things off. A cycled tank is also called a 'mature' tank elsewhere.

Hey there, :bounce:

Your tank looks really nice for a cool water tank with goldies, and i agree the fins are beautiful! I think thats the best gold fish tank i have seen to date, the plants look great!!!

I don't think anyone was trying to offend you just trying to find out more info :D

I am curious though how you did cycle your tank, I have personally just done the "normal" cycle over a few weeks and i haven't heard of a tank being cycled so quickly....if you don't mind i would love to know the trick/secret?? and i'm sure others would too :D

Can you tell me where someone posted about goldfish living in filth

I noticed a comment from Ira but all that says is he liekes your tank though he doesnt like goldfish

I have heard of a few quick cycle remedies but I havent found one that works for me

Not saying yours doesnt work I havent tried it

You say in an earlier post about not throwing old media into a new tank you consider this bad though you add Lava chips from an established tank?

Just cos your fish arent showing ammonia burns inside a week doesnt mean there isnt ammonia there

Its not that I refuse to believe you cycling that quick Its that I just dont

From what I learnt from Very Experienced and well known fish keepers is that the bacteria needed to cycle your tank can only multiply so quickly

Thats the process that you cant make go any faster

All you can do is start with a larger amount of bacteria which is the reasoning behind adding a mature filter

Brad

im also keen to know how a cycle can be done so fast, and the process in which things need to be done. Seems like alot of chemicals and stuff to be putting into a tank 2-4 hours before the fish... But, im not going to say its impossible, as it obviously works for you....

Nice tank BTW. I dont like goldfish, and i prefer my tanks differently, but it doesnt matter, you like it, and it does look quite nice. Everyone has their own tastes eh? :)

Well done, and good on you for saving the poor goldies

Nice tank BTW. I dont like goldfish, and i prefer my tanks differently, but it doesnt matter, you like it, and it does look quite nice. Everyone has their own tastes eh? :)

Well done, and good on you for saving the poor goldies

Yeah, goldies aren't everyone's favorite. Heck, part of the original reason I even agreed to comply with the person's request for them was my desire to covert that aquarium (in the livingroom of the home) to a planted one (the goldies were 7yrs. old at the time)... I never thought the person would turn around and say he doesn't want them anymore 5yrs. down the road. The whole process of saving their hides meant tearing down the planted aquarium that was in the guest room and setting up this new one for the displaced goldies. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to provide a home for the Giant Danios he had for 6yrs.... those ended up at a pet store :-?