Snails and Plants

iisfaq

I have a lot of snails in my current tank (350 Litre)

I try to syphon them out when I do water changes but they maintly come out after dark.

I have heard that Clown Loaches are good at eating your population of Snails, but how do they do with plants?

My current tank has Angels, Discus, Neons, and Zebra Danios.

I have bought a new tank but do not get if for 4 weeks.

Is there a problem with having Clown Loaches? how about swapping between two tanks?

Cheers

Chris

Clown loaches are great for snails, I have 6 and i don't have a snail in sight :) They are a bit sensitive and are prone to whitespot due to poor water conditions and stress....I haven't had a problem with it though (touches wood) zebra and skunk loaches and yoyo i guess are all good at snails also so they might be a better option since they max out at 10ish cms rather than 30ish cms like the clowns.

Mine are in a planted tank and don't harm the plants at all!!!

Hope that helps and others can fill in any parts i have missed :D

Another option is to take a small soda bottle, cut the top "funnel" part off, put a rock or other weight in the bottom with some lettuce, put the top back into the bottle pointy end first and place in the bottom of the tank.

The snals should find thier way into the bottle and not be smart enough to find thier way out. Keep an eye on the "trap" if you have any small fish and release them if they get trapped.

Side note the above can also be used to catch small hard to catch fish just bait with pellets or other foods.

Clown loaches are great for snails, I have 6 and i don't have a snail in sight :) They are a bit sensitive and are prone to whitespot due to poor water conditions and stress....I haven't had a problem with it though (touches wood) zebra and skunk loaches and yoyo i guess are all good at snails also so they might be a better option since they max out at 10ish cms rather than 30ish cms like the clowns.

Mine are in a planted tank and don't harm the plants at all!!!

Hope that helps and others can fill in any parts i have missed :D

I will checkout the option for these other loaches and see if I can find a source in Christchurch. Since 30cm is pretty large...

Cheers

chris

I would pass up on the Skunk Loach.. they can be a very aggressive loach.. and can attack... and I have seen fish fins after a result of having two rather actively aggressive Skunks as tank mates :o

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yasuhikotakia_morleti

http://www.loaches.com/species-index/yasuhikotakia-morleti

If you didn't want a loach that gets as big as the Clown Loach, I have kept Zebra Loaches in the past and they are rather laid back compared to others you find. They are a nice fish.

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile65.html

If you didn't want a loach that gets as big as the Clown Loach, I have kept Zebra Loaches in the past and they are rather laid back compared to others you find. They are a nice fish.

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile65.html

What sort of price will the Zebra's go for?

Also I read on the link above water temp to 81 - I am currently running 86 for my Discus - could they handle that?

chris

That is the issue for alot of fish if you are wanting to keep them with Discus, some can't tolerate the higher temps and expire quicker than they normally would.. I am not sure about the Zebra Loach... They are a hardy Loach but not sure on the water temp whether or not they would live happily.. :D You could always ask on a Loach forum of some sort if there is one.. I am sure I saw one a while back.. hmmmm