Substrate for plants

iisfaq

I created a substrate for my tank about 15 months ago and generally I am very happy with it. although most of my plants have died I am left with one that grows very easily.

Does anyone have any comments on my substrate?

I have just bought a new Aqua Grande 120 which is a 4 foot tank ( 285 litre ) and am thinking of using the same substrate. I do not get the tank for about another month so plently of time to decide how to proceed.

r_Substrate_12Nov2005.jpg

Your thoughts would be appreciated...

New Tank can be seen here.

http://www.aquaone.co.uk/prod_details.php?id_no=52056BK

Cheers

Chris

that looks good to me!!! whats your lighting like at the moment?? and what plant survived and what types died??

thanks

My current tank is an AquaOne 880 - see http://www.aquaone.co.uk/prod_details.php?id_no=52093sv

The lights are currently the original bulbs @ 15 months old.

The specs are detailed at : 2x30w PL + 1x20w Flourescent

I really do not know what that means.

The plant that grows really well is the last photo on the left side from the following image, the rest died.

tank_12Nov2005.jpg

Thanks for your comments

chris

Thats what I am using in my tanks. The only thing different is that my gravel is smaller.

Great to know someone else is doing it as well.

My thought is to increase the depth of the gravel or sand.

On occasion I have found that my gravel cleaner has broken though into the lowest Aquotic Mix which is a clay type of material and not good to be mixed with water.

Has this happened to you?

Chris

Bulbs are usually recommended to be replaced every year so i have read and seems to be a good guideline. Also lights should be on about 8-10 hours a day but everyone differs with there different lifestyles.

Most those plants seem pretty hardy IME so i'm not sure what has gone wrong?? How long was it before they died? and did you get them from your LFS??

gud luck :D

The specs are detailed at : 2x30w PL + 1x20w Flourescent

You won’t grow much with that light.

I stated of with 2x54w & 2x39w t5s on a 4ft tank and changed to 150w metal halide.

After a week the growth was amazing. Just shows that good lighting makes a big difference.

All of your plants other that the Ambulia have been grown emersed. Emersed plants generally need good light to convert from emersed to submersed growth and your lights are on the mild side and a bit old. Flouro tubes become less eficient with age and need replacing about every 6-12 months depending on how long they are on. The tubes get dark near the ends when old. Daylight tubes are the ones most people are using. They are generally a lot cheaper from a wholesaler than the pet shop. I got a couple of 4 footers last week for $10.00

All of your plants other that the Ambulia have been grown emersed. Emersed plants generally need good light to convert from emersed to submersed growth and your lights are on the mild side and a bit old. Flouro tubes become less eficient with age and need replacing about every 6-12 months depending on how long they are on. The tubes get dark near the ends when old. Daylight tubes are the ones most people are using. They are generally a lot cheaper from a wholesaler than the pet shop. I got a couple of 4 footers last week for $10.00

I will look into that option - Since the aqua one 880 is a corner tank I am limited in what I can do with lighting since it is part of the lid of the tank.

Here is a photo of the lights in the 880 - sorry not the best shot.

AquaOneFilterAndLid.jpg

The new tank has 3x36w over the 4 foot span.

How are the daylight bulbs rated in watts? Do they give a non coloured light?

Cheers

chris

this is generally the problem with pre fabricated tank. they have limited space in the hood.

you will either modified your hood and add in more lights or lose the hood and go with the standard light holder in the market. some time, this may not be pleasant to look at.

to modified, you may need a drill, tube holder, tube, wire, ballast and end cap. you need to buy the right stuff. are you good in electricity?

another easier way wil be to check your ballast whether it support higher wattage (currently you have 30watt X 2 and 20 watt X1). if your ballasts only support 30s and 20s, than may be just change the ballast so that it will support higher wattage tube. i have seen pl going for 55watts and fl going for 54 watts. three of this tube will be enough for you 300 litre tank.

best of luck.

another easier way wil be to check your ballast whether it support higher wattage (currently you have 30watt X 2 and 20 watt X1). if your ballasts only support 30s and 20s, than may be just change the ballast so that it will support higher wattage tube. i have seen pl going for 55watts and fl going for 54 watts. three of this tube will be enough for you 300 litre tank.

best of luck.

Thanks for your comments, what is PL and FL by the way?

chris

PL tube are generally called Philip light as Philip is the first to launch such a tube. it has a U-shape tube and has 4 pins on one end.

FL is a Fluorescent tube commonly found in the market.

if you can establish 3X50watts tube, you will be ok. ideally 200 watts will be better but not more than 300 watts of light.

the spectrum you should look for is 6,500 kelvin. i just saw a 4 footer tube with 6,500kelvin in Bunnings. not sure if you have Bunninngs in Christ Church.

Cheers

PL tube are generally called Philip light as Philip is the first to launch such a tube. it has a U-shape tube and has 4 pins on one end.

FL is a Fluorescent tube commonly found in the market.

if you can establish 3X50watts tube, you will be ok. ideally 200 watts will be better but not more than 300 watts of light.

the spectrum you should look for is 6,500 kelvin. i just saw a 4 footer tube with 6,500kelvin in Bunnings. not sure if you have Bunninngs in Christ Church.

Cheers

I think I have seen them but my bulbs are straight.

The two longest bulbs are these; a 15000K 30w and the other 10000K 30w.

chris

HI Chris

you mention "PL" in your second thread. so i though you have PL light.

if you got FL light, could you check your ballast (rectangular cubicle shape) and see it is says 36 watts or 55 watts or whatever.

if it is higher wattage, you can just but the right bulb and it will be fine. if not, you might have to change the ballast to get higher wattage.

Cheers

Henry

HI Chris

you mention "PL" in your second thread. so i though you have PL light.

if you got FL light, could you check your ballast (rectangular cubicle shape) and see it is says 36 watts or 55 watts or whatever.

if it is higher wattage, you can just but the right bulb and it will be fine. if not, you might have to change the ballast to get higher wattage.

The PL was part of the spec on the manufactures site.

http://www.aquaone.co.uk/prod_details.php?id_no=52093sv

The ballast unit must be right inside the lid as it is not visible without dismantalling the unit.

Cheers

chris

may be it was another model that uses PL light. so you have FL light and no PL light.

yes, you will need to dismantle the unit to peep into the ballast. you might as well if you want to upgrade your lighting system.

if your ballast do not support higher wattage, you will have to dismantle your ballast and bring it down to the lighting shop and look for one that has same dimension and right hole for fitting into your plastic hood.

if you do not want to dismantle the ballast, have a good measurement of your ballast and describe it to your light dealer.

Ballast come in all different dimension of a rectangular cube. as your dealer if he has one that support 55 wattage and above. i have a ballast that can support 2X55wattage in one ballast. so check with your light suppliers and see what they said.

this is the easier way to upgrade your lighting system, otherwise, you will need to start drilling holes or use a strong epoxy adhesive to hold your ballast.

there are also two kind of ballast:

Magnetic Ballast: gets very hot and flicks a few time before the light is turn on.

compare to

Electric Ballast: does not get hot and turns on immediately.

i favor EB over MB because EB can extend the life spam of the bulbs and does not shock the fishes. EB does not have starter as well.

Cheers

• 3 months later...