Whats wrong with my oranda??

IOU1

Sadly I don't think he is going o make it tonight :cry:

After purchasing both a male and female from 'iloveoranda' I bought them home and seperated them into seperate barrels. I did weekly waterchanges of at least 10% (often more). The male seemed to go downhill with a 'bubble' on its skin and with some scales sticking out, as the days increased more and more scales stuck out :-?

I moved him inside in a aerated 90L tank and increased my waterchanges and put in some rock salt and skin repairer (aloe vera) with every change... He had seemed to get better, the bubble dissapeared etc.

All of a sudden even keeping up the water changes he began tipping on his side unable to swim how he originally could have... He had a couple of wounds and damaged fins.

Tonight he is on his side completely :o I have moved him to shallow water making it easier to get around but it isn't helping.

Is this some sort of disease from my own doing or could it be some genetical organ failure??? :cry:

Like I said the waterchanges were weekly and the female is provided with the same conditions and is normal (if not better than when I purchased her) :-?

Is there something I can do or is this the end??? Anyone had similar experiences with his fish?? What could have caused these wounds, bubbles and stuck out fins??? He has been by himself since purchase, no other orandas in with him.

PLEASE HELP :(

mixed reports on that i think, i think its bacterial but im not sure if anyone knows specificially what causes it to flare up (ie a scratch isnt going to cause it). dropsy can come out of nowhere in a super healthy tank that is really well looked after so i would say its not genetic and its not your fault either

a few disease that cause the fish to bloat and scales to stick out are all called dropsy. with out doing an autopsy on the wee fella it would be hard to know.

most common form of dropsy on goldfish is liver failure which proper orandas seem to get easily due to their deformed body shape and organ. mostly caused by extreme temperature change. another form is parasite which can be cured with peas and epsom salt but i doubt thats what it is by the sound of ur good up keeping, i've ever had it once in my early stage of fish keeping and the fish got sick again with the same thing and died a month after it was put back in the pond.

To me, since it started with a bubble (I assume the sticking out scales were from the bubble), and you mention wounds, it isn't dropsy. I think the fish has just developed secondary infections due to the abovementioned problems. I think Melafix is the thing to try (but can't find my bottle to read what it treats so check first).

Orandas can develop swim bladder problems easily too, in this case as a result of the other problems.

OK... An update, this oranda is still alive :o

Does appear to be in any pain, still eating food before it sinks and the scales have appeared to have returned to normal :-? ... But its still on it side and can't swim :o

What do you think I should do?? Would 'killing' it be a more humain thing to do?? :cry:

I don't know whats wrong... I'm wondering if it is a swimming disorder... Thing that puzzles me is that its only recently happened and its already 12months old... they do begin to 'round up' at this age though... Possibly making it unbalanced.

I'm confused :-? :o:(

So what do I do with the pea?? Do I try to feed it to him or just drop it in? :oops:

About the food, I have fed him with quality goldfish sinking pellets since I got him, but I think 'iloveoranda' had his own recipe that I haven't yet got around to researching and making... Might be my job this weekend if you think thats the problem.

About the dropsy caused by temperature change, we have suddenly had a huge increase in temperatures here in auckland in the last couple of weeks. Could that change from "Winter" to "Summer" all-of-a-sudden have caused it??

About the dropsy caused by temperature change, we have suddenly had a huge increase in temperatures here in auckland in the last couple of weeks. Could that change from "Winter" to "Summer" all-of-a-sudden have caused it??

it could be, i know thats what happening to one of my at the moment but i caught it early so helpfully it will recover.

OK... Please excuse my question about the pea, Of course you feed it to him :oops: Just red the thread and now think I am a idiot for asking that.

If it is the temperature change fishboi, what is the best way to help the fish recover? Even though I might be too late I had picked up something was wrong earlier which is why I moved him and increased the water changes, with rock salt... So maybe he can still recover?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

Hi

I'm sorry to hear about your oranda fish....wish I could help you but I am a newbie here. I saw you said you had bought your oranda at 'iloveoranda'. I'd like to get some extra ones for my small pond. I live in Albany, Auckland. Is that place far away from here (or is it a website?)

Thank you very much in advance,

Rodrigo

• 3 months later...

Not only did this new poster not realise that the original thread is 7 years old but he has also been waiting since February this year for someone to approve his initial post!

Talk about mistakes! Sorry Rodrigo2013 :oops: