What are people feeding their Fronts?

Afrikan

The fronnies changing colour could very well be the difference in water going in. Unless its just from you having your arm, gravel vac, etc in the tank spooking them a bit. {cichfanatic}

Be very careful with water changes. Cichlids from Lake Tangy can be very fickle to changes in water.

As for the dark fronnie, are you sure it isn't getting harassed? As said earlier, dark fronnies like that, can mean stress.

For it to be one only too & a fronnie. Leads me to being picked on. Also by the way it is sitting in the back of the pot & high up, seems like it is trying to stay out of others way.

Frenchy :D

hi guy's,

i'd recommend not pissing around with tank so much, better off doing a 20% waterchange every fornight(providing you don't over-feed). and get more rocks in the tank,he looks like he is saying get out of my turf. put the other pot down another end of tank and get more rocks in there or a variety of other pots.if he is the alpha male he will want to be away from the others.

got to get a good balance in your tank,won't get that by mucking around with water all the time. more rocks/pots and give him his own turf by moving other pot away(opposite end of tank).

let us know how you get on.

if ya want to have success with these fish, you need to arrange tank to their needs not your visual pleasure.

what rocks did you put in??

a tank full of light coloured limestone or dolomite will not make fish go dark. i never had a dark front yet.

these fish live 30metres down---- everywhere is rock, fronts aren't fussed on having bright lighting neither.

nor fast-flowing water and hate spray-bar's put to much oxygen through water.

frontosa's are low oxygen takers,due to the depths they come from, yes these are captive breed---but that doesn't change the way they are internally built.

well that's all i can think of to try and help ya out. end of the day ya need more rocks(the right rocks) and do the tank to their needs not yours, and then walk away and leave it to settle for a fornight,feed lightly, then 20% waterchange and leave for another fortnight etc,etc.

good luck.

hate spray-bar's put to much oxygen through water.

frontosa's are low oxygen takers,due to the depths they come from, yes these are captive breed---but that doesn't change the way they are internally built.

Make sure you have some airation in there. They may live 30metres down. The water in Lake Tangy itself is very oxygen rich.

http://www.wetpetz.com/laketang.htm

In the upper 40 metres, the water is especially oxygen-rich.

Frenchy :D

justin is quite right, i didn't word that to well, those box air filters are great.

spray-bars and fronts don't work,they put in access tiny airbubbles,makes fronts itch,still keep spray-bars just make sure they arenot above the water-line.

can't wait to see a pic with all the rocks in,the fish will love it.