Newbie in Wellington

ikan

hi all

just caught the fish bug....bought a couple of tanks but still looking for fishes...any recommendation? bought some killies on impulse but thinking more of goldfish

wheres the best place to get fish and supplies in wellington? :bow:

Hi Ikan, welcome, whereabouts in Wellington are you??

the main petshops around this area are Animates x2, Hutt Pets in Lower Hutt, and our local in Wainui.

But then alot of us buy sell and trade amongst ourselves.

If you aren't sure what type of fish you want - then I suggest getting in touch with billaney - he breeds alot of fish and sells them - but seeing his set up you just might find the fish you want for tank or tanks.

Welcome,

If you're interested in the upper hutt club, we're meeting tomorrow night :)

My personal preference to stores is hutt pets, half the forum is going 'grr' at me right now for saying that I'm sure :lol:

Basically the deal is, they're definately the cheapest, but not necessarily the highest qualtiy. I also like them because they support the hobby more by taking in unwanted fish, and they'll take back any fish that didn't work out for you. But if a fish looks slow or tired, dont buy it. Also they carry rarer species, animates carry the standard stock (e.g. tetras and barbs) whereas I bought two Bloodred Oscar cichlids from Hutt Pets on tuesday as an example.

Animates is more expensive, but the fish are always gorgeous and well cared for. They also have a very good range of plants.

There are other good stores in Wainuiamata and Paraparumu but I've only been to them once, so can't really comment :)

So in short, Animates for beginners, Hutt Pets for the enthusiast (IMO)