Calling people with perspex experience

Fred

Hello all, i have a few large sheets of perspex which im wanting to use to make a tank.

1) does anyone have a conversion thing like with glass, that tells you what the minimum thickness should be for a certain height

2) and secondly does anyone know if it is possible for me to take the sheets somewhere where i can get them cut to exact dimensions, as am having a hard time cutting them at dead right angles

thanks

There used to be a LFS here in Napier (closed rather a while ago now) who had a beautiful corner tank made out of perspex... Cost an arm and a leg to make, with materials etc but the guy that did it, made a fantastic job and it looked very nice! I know the person that has the tank now due to shop closing and he has Mbuna in it, looks wicked :D

I have used a number of plastics for lids and found perspex and acrylic tend to distort with the heat. I now use polycarbonate-- more expensive but less thermoplastic. I worked a bit with perspex years ago making water softening units. If I recall the glue is a solvent weld job like PVC but using chloroform as the solvent. I think it is also explosively inflamable and scratches easily. I think plastic suppliers cut the sheets with a friction saw. A plastic supplier might cut it for a donation to the social club. Hope my elzeimers hasn't developed too much yet.

yea perspex does cost alot in. But like mentioned I have a few large sheets.

3 (170cm by 62cm)

2 (100cm by 97cm)

1 (66cm by 96cm)

and yea the glue is just perspex shaving with chloroform (which we also have) and we even have a centrafuge to mix it all good and proper.

So was jus seeing if i could make a nice tank with it all. And the issue was just having is cutting it all in right angles and same lenghts etc.....

i think i will ave to give the white pages a raid on monday to see if someone can get them up

Theres a guy that was posting here (tank-man I think) that makes large perspex tanks he would be able to help you. My father had a perspex tank years ago, it worked ok but had stainless steel bracing on the top to stop the sides flexing. It got quite scrached after a while and it discoloured.