Hi from a newbie

bdspider

Hi all

I'm about to get my first tank and am so excited! It's only a 2fter, but it'll make a great start.

I'm awaiting the arrival of the tank (it's being made right now) and the filter system was not available from my source anymore :( so I'll have to check out some pet shop prices today.

I think I'm gonna start out with a pack of zebra danios, some sort of cory (either bandit or panda) & a heap of baby bristlenoses (cm long ones). And maybe some tetras, depending on what Organisms have discounted. Tetras are so boring. After that, there's so much I would love to have... kribs, kuhli loaches, synadontids, kissing gourami, knife fish... so exciting.

Yeah, I don't think I'll get the actual fish for at least another 2 weeks, assuming I can setup the tank next week. At least Christchurch has great water, so no chlorine to worry about.

And forgot to say in first post, I guess it's my first *tropical* tank, cos I have a longfin eel too. He's very cute, 9cm long now.

IMGP0282.jpg

This photo was taken about 6 months ago, hes fattened up a bit since then.

Awwwww..... he's a cutie!!!! I love small eels, the big ones are ok so long as they can't get in my gumboots/eat me :lol:

When I was a kid, our goldfish pond at home ran out of goldfish, so next time we were at my grandparents i went eeling and snuck a few home, and put them in the pond. Didn't know at that age that they could get out - they took off, one got eaten by a dog :( and the other two got caught and taken back to the creek.

Is your eel quite friendly?

I was given my eel, so not sure about catching sorry!

He isn't needy at all. I'm sure this will shock people, but he doesn't even have filtration in his tank and is doing fine. When he was little, he didn't have any substrate, just java moss to hide in (+duck weed). Now he has standard aquarium stones on the bottom, he loves moving around under the stones.

It's been suggested to me that he'd be more active with filtration cos of the extra oxygen the static water would get. He's quite active during the night, nocturnal of course. I usually do a complete water change, so I can rinse the rocks out (Tank & eel are too small to be able to use one of those fancy gravel vacuums) but then I live in Chch, so there's little worry about having to cycle water and get rid of chlorine.

He eats a teeny piece of frozen bloodworms daily. I sometimes give him bits of chicken.

I'd love a teeney baby freshwater cray to go with him! Yours is very cute. I like the idea of a bigger freshwater tank. I love how you don't see the natives during the day, but at night they all come out.

cool eel!!!

So, details! :)

How did yo ucatch him? What requirements does he have? etc etc etc!

:bounce:

go down to a stream with some old steaks or other meat (raw) and fishing rod chuck the hook n bait in and wait for the eels to bite. (not all streams have eels btw) dont worry about the injurys cuased by the hook as they should heal up otherwise use a eel trap that most fishing shops supply

go down to a stream with some old steaks or other meat (raw) and fishing rod chuck the hook n bait in and wait for the eels to bite. (not all streams have eels btw) dont worry about the injurys cuased by the hook as they should heal up otherwise use a eel trap that most fishing shops supply

You won't catch a 9cm eel like mine that way... (well, he would have been about 4cm when caught. A little glass eel)