Golden Marble Bristlenose - A. Claro LDA08 spawn

Faran

Starting with markings, the GMB has speckles on the bristles of the males, regular BNs do not. Body markings are reticulated rather than just spots. Body shape is shorter (7cm max full grown) with defined tapering to a very narrow base of tail and a smaller tail than BNs (compared to body). The most definitive indicator is the mouth shape, which is very oval compared to the BNs round mouth.

And that's just starters. Unless you've ordered them in from a wholesaler the likelyhood is that you don't have one. Where did yours come from?

Happy to help.

Thanks for that, now just patiently waiting for "old matey" to decide to clean the front of my tank. I dont think he is as there is very little colouring extended to the bristles.

His heritage and age is unknown as he came with the tank when I bought it. In 3 weeks his "whiskers" have grown from 1mm to 5mm and I noticed today, just starting to branch so i must be doing something right.

And I never realised how carnivourous they were. Hung a partial uncooked prawn in the middle of the tank for my guppies to eat and he just sucked onto it and started swinging it side to side while having a great time. Was trying to avoid him eating it as he chases the guppies away and is neglecting his true calling of cleaning my rapidly greening glass

Sorry, never covered the Ancistrus crossbreeding. The answer is yes, but I've never done it and it's discouraged amongst breeders and hobbyists to cross pretty much anything. Regular BNs and GBAs are a classic example, they cross breed all the time.

Yes, I'd have to say it's a common BN. Sorry mate, would LOVE to find another male in NZ!

Here's a pic of a ventral view of a GMB for comparison. Note the different mouth shape and the more defined tapering of the body -

http://www.planetcatfish.com/images/ful ... laro/4.jpg

I believe the claro (GMB) has a white belly as well...

Thanks for the fix, Alan. I was trying to show the difference in mouth shape of a ventral view to compare with the common BN pic above.

GOOD NEWS!!! Thanks to CatBrat and his great spotting, a male GMB or "Matto Grosso" is on te way down to keep my lovely ladies busy. Whew.

12 of the remaining 13 eggs hatched out. One of the lfry is a bit gimpy and will probably be culled but I'll give it a few days to see how they absorb yolk sacs. Obviously, I don't want to cull ANY of these wee fellas!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...