Newbie question about Glowlight tetras and breeding

1familiarfish

Can someone tell me please, are these dear wee fellas supposed to get err rather round before laying eggs? Ive never had egg laying fish before (they ARE egg layers arent they?) , only live bearers, so have no point of reference... We have six glowlights and two of them have big tummies... Any advice etc would be welcome, Thankyou in advance for your fishy wisdom, Shortee :hail:

The two with big tummies will be girls, the others will be boys :) They'll stay like that until spawning time, and they wont spawn until the time is right. Much unlike the livebearer that will just drop every 6 weeks.

I haven't bred Glowlight's before, but I found my Neon Tetras would spawn on my java moss whenever cold rainwater was added to the tank.

Thanks for such quick replies...

More questions... weve just found two tetras with definite signs of eggs, we can see their bulges in the shape of eggs ---

What is green water please?

Do I purchase it, or make it somehow.

Fairly resourceful here, we have extra tanks when we need one for tiny fry - will breeding grass be ok? How many babies do they have? ...

Time to be googling to see what I can find too, we didnt think theyd breed (doh!), weve only had them a month and the glowlights are just tiny themselves.

Again, many thanks for the information and advice! Greatly appreciated,

Shortee

Thanks Caryl... Will get some of that organised. :bounce:

Have just found a site that recommends separating the males from the females then putting them back together again so they will spawn... and feeding them on live food... Will try that and see how they go. Thanks again for all the advice...

Shortee

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: