ph up

Whiskas

Don't use the stuff. It is only temporary depending on the buffering in the tank and will more likely result in huge pH swings. Why do you want to alter the pH? What is it, and what do you want it to be? There are more natural and longer lasting ways than those products. Besides, read the label. I think pH Up is just an expensive way of buying baking soda :wink:

Don't use pH up or down. They are temporary measures, and the constant pH swings in your tank will cause much more harm.

If your pH is between 6.5 and 7.5 then there is normally no reason for adjusting it (unless you keep African Cichlids, in which case 8ish is better). Sometimes breeding discus etc like the softer water, which can be made using reverse osmosis, collecting rainwater, or a little bit of peat in the filter.

For most cases, its best just to get your fish used to your tap water, so there is no stress during water changes and you're not reliant on buying bottles of chemicals.

Yeah I agree with what the others said. I used to use Proper PH 7.0 when I got my first tank (cos the LFS told me to, and I didn't know any better) and I couldn't work out why my fish were ALWAYS dying. Now that I'm a little more educated, I don't use ph altering products and haven't had a fish death for.. probably nearly a year. *touches wood*

Yeah I agree with what the others said. I used to use Proper PH 7.0 when I got my first tank (cos the LFS told me to, and I didn't know any better) and I couldn't work out why my fish were ALWAYS dying. Now that I'm a little more educated, I don't use ph altering products and haven't had a fish death for.. probably nearly a year. *touches wood*

Watch out for many of these pH buffers. Most of them are phosphate based. Using them will inhibit plant growth and can lead to massive algae outbreaks. Normally the phosphate level is so high algae cannot break out but as the buffering capacity drops it can happen. I used it once a long long time ago before I was better educated. Out of interest, I measured the phosphate level and it was 400ppm. I had to dilute it 100:1 before my test kit would read a sensible value...

Ohh.. that may also explain why my plants didn't grow so well back then. That and a combination of just shoving the bunch in to the gravel...

I have an algae problem at the moment... so high phosphates can also cause algae breakouts?? Should I be testing for phosphates too?? The buffering capacity relates to the water hardness doesn't it? I believe my water is really soft so.. what does that mean? Ugh so much to learn!!

KH is carbonate hardness and thats what keeps your ph stable, generally (but not always, there is exceptions) a low KH will go hand in hand with a low Ph and vice versa. with a low KH you may experience Ph crashes or swings as there is very little to keep your Ph stable.

General hardness (GH) is well.. just your general hardness of the water, i dont think that it has any effect on the stability of parameters though but im not 100% on that.

our water is soft, we have 0 Dkh and a ph of 6.6-6.8 so i keep shell grit in most of my filters to get the Kh up above 3.

Us old fellas are having trouble again. In the good old days------ hardness was in ppm expressed as CaCo3 or in DH which was a German expression and 1 DH was about 18ppm hardness. What happened to the expression that hardness was what stopped the soap from lathering and was measured by a titration against a standard soap solution. We never had this trouble under a National Govt.

my kit measures in degrees alan and you just times it to get it into ppm. thats why i say 3Dkh (D=degrees).

southerngirl, how many drops before the solution turns the to whatever colour it is supposed to? each drop means one degree (ie 3 drops to change colour means 3 degrees)

alan- 53.7ppm if you use 17.9ppm=1 degree.

southerngirl, 1-2 is fairly soft, i have been told 3 is considered 'safe'. most people will never experience a ph crash/big swing (or perhaps they just dont notice it depending on what fish you keep) so its nothing major to worry about but im a paranoid fish keeper (i have no buffering at all in my water). i have read accounts of the ph crashing from 6 down to 3 in a matter of minutes and the fish werent too happy about it but they did live i think (discus).

because you have a low kh those ph altering products will not work for very long because the water lacks the buffering to keep it there. to lower it ('it' being kh and in turn ph) you can use peat and to up it you can use shell grit, coral pieces etc (what african keepers use)