Dipstick of the week!!!

Lady-Lene

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha

Spilling Co-Ordinator

The Spilling Co-Ordinator will be responsible for certifying all spills. The literage and date must be signed off, and evidence of the spill certified by the co-ordinator. Results will then be sent to the National Spilling Co-Ordinator for processing, points go towards spilling pins, 50L 100L 250L 500L and 1000L.

Never had any major spills myself.

Once i was doing a gravel siphon and the tube came disconnected from the plunging thing you stick in the gravel, flicked around and water sprayed everywhere including right across my face. That's probably my worst, not really in contention but it makes me laugh when I look back at it now :D

Something like 15 years ago my very visually impaired grandma had this clever little device that told her when she had poured enough water and then milk into her teacup.

It was a simple battery powered thing that hooked on the side of her cup with probes and an alarm thing that went off when water contacted them.

I have often thought this would make a lot of sense for reducing the spills when siphoning or filling tanks.

Probably dirt cheap, but I wouldnt know where to look. Google presumably... ;)

These liquid level indicators are available from the Foundation for the Blind. This link is through to their website - check out at the bottom of the page. And thanks for the idea Stella!!

Cheers,

Sam

http://www.rnzfb.org.nz/newsandevents/p ... -gift-idea

Spidersweb.. I think the pins will need to start at least from 100L

50L is just too easy to achieve :lol:

"Certification can also be submitted by using a copy of the submitted insurance claim form"

Reading these posts almost made me wanna do a bigger spill just so I could get the trophy! :lol:

well, I haven't had any HUGE spills like you guys. But this is my record:

1. Forgot about siphon, lost a bucket or two onto the carpet of the flat I was *just moving out of*

Stella

Now tell us the truth.... were you just moving out of the flat before or after the incident :lol: :lol:

• 1 month later...

400 litres of saltwater flooded the fishroom(a bedroom converted) the hall, into the laundry and the kitchen.

My wife got up in the night and thought the hot water cylinder was leaking.

As she got back into bed at 3.30 am she said about the water .

I got up . TH power was off

I went into the fishroom to find algae and sand all over the sodden floor

We live in a rental... So the dehumidifyer got a real work out for the next week!

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

400 litres of saltwater flooded the fishroom(a bedroom converted) the hall, into the laundry and the kitchen.

My wife got up in the night and thought the hot water cylinder was leaking.

As she got back into bed at 3.30 am she said about the water .

I got up . TH power was off

I went into the fishroom to find algae and sand all over the sodden floor

We live in a rental... So the dehumidifyer got a real work out for the next week!

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

No losses I hope :-?

Hey Brad, who is puddles. Matt or Luke?

There are plenty of times your brother flooded one part of the shop or another. You would off missed out on plenty. He had the dry out shop routine down pat. Towels, fans, open doors, air con.... :lol: In my casual days I often walked into the shop to the sound of squish squish as I walked.

If one of them 2 above is puddles, then Steve is "Lake Skippy" :lol:

As for me, my worst is that I have had a 4 footer split. 4-5 years ago.

4 footer in bedroom, got home form work. Tank was completely empty. :x Had a breeding pair of comps & calvus in there plus a couple of dithers. The sole fish that survived was a calvus female. She was still in her shell, the water emptying out of the tank turned her shell upwards enough to hold enough water for her to live in, what must of been a couple of hours. Glad she didn't jump out :D

Have had a 6 footer, leak since. In garage & caught early. Lisa rang me at work, small leak, dripping slowly. I told her to turn everything off, keep me updated. She rang back, as soon as water settled after filters were off, the leak stopped. :o Got home from work later, started the filters up, leak started again. :roll:

Frenchy :D