Dipstick of the week!!!

Lady-Lene

Gee those men really need to leave things alone... ;):D :lol:

Two hours to catch 5 fish, crikey :o I am afraid I would be losing my cool by that stage :lol: Not at the fish, at the BF :lol:

LOl....i will lose my patience and crush the fry straight away or siphon them straight into the drain. never attempt to save any frys in a lose tank...lol :P

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, I haven't had any HUGE spills like you guys. But this is my record:

1. Forgot about siphon, lost a bucket or two onto the carpet of the flat I was *just moving out of*

2. Forgot to aim hose at tank before I turned it on, then took a while to get back inside to check on it.

3. Forgot about siphon, lost a bucket or two onto carpet.

Now, that is a totally unimpressive list, but when you think I managed to do all those in the last MONTH, it gets rather embarassing.

Stella

Now, that is a totally unimpressive list, but when you think I managed to do all those in the last MONTH, it gets rather embarassing.

Stella

lol

I think the funniest one I've done was 9L bucket for fish water breaking away from handle just as I was about to tip it into toliet. (We live upstairs all fish water goes down the bog.)

I got compleatly covered but at least it happened in the bathroom not on the carpet.

My worst was filling my 1200L tank. I dropped the level to about 50% during the clean. Set it to filling which takes about 30 minutes. Went outside for a minute to check the fishroom. An hour and a half later thought bugger I left the tank filling. Stepped inside the front door to squishy carpet. Around 1200L of water on the lounge floor - nice. It took 3 days to dry out. Needless to say I never did it again.

It caused a lot of damage. It stained the carpet, made and custom-wood furniture swell up including my speakers and smelled bad... Also the tank temp dropped to 20, not so good for discus. They all survived fine though.

My worst was filling my 1200L tank. I dropped the level to about 50% during the clean. Set it to filling which takes about 30 minutes. Went outside for a minute to check the fishroom. An hour and a half later thought bugger I left the tank filling. Stepped inside the front door to squishy carpet. Around 1200L of water on the lounge floor - nice. It took 3 days to dry out. Needless to say I never did it again.

It caused a lot of damage. It stained the carpet, made and custom-wood furniture swell up including my speakers and smelled bad... Also the tank temp dropped to 20, not so good for discus. They all survived fine though.

I think your the BIGGEST WINNER so far :lol: :lol: I haven't had any majors yet and hope i don't any time soon

Warren, Tim Tam is right, you are the biggest WINNER :P :lol:

Dammit that means I am still in second place with 700 litres plus at around 3am!! And external filters running dry.. sounded like bloody choppers in the house whirring around it echoed that much.. :lol:

Something like 15 years ago my very visually impaired grandma had this clever little device that told her when she had poured enough water and then milk into her teacup.

It was a simple battery powered thing that hooked on the side of her cup with probes and an alarm thing that went off when water contacted them.

I have often thought this would make a lot of sense for reducing the spills when siphoning or filling tanks.

Probably dirt cheap, but I wouldnt know where to look. Google presumably... ;)

Nah, mine was in the garage so it really doesn't count.

I lost about 1/2 the water in the system as the tank overflows were set to 50% of the tank height just in case anything went wrong. So the sump at 400L (empty) and about half the tank volumes put it at just over 3500L. Didn't look like much as most of it had drained away by the time I noticed. Can't beat a concrete floor in your fishroom...

Something like 15 years ago my very visually impaired grandma had this clever little device that told her when she had poured enough water and then milk into her teacup.

It was a simple battery powered thing that hooked on the side of her cup with probes and an alarm thing that went off when water contacted them.

I have often thought this would make a lot of sense for reducing the spills when siphoning or filling tanks.

Probably dirt cheap, but I wouldnt know where to look. Google presumably... ;)

Disk Smith probably has a kitset you could buy to do the job.

my spills are pretty pathetic (but not to my mother lol). worst was when the siphon hose slipped inside (it was out the window), had about 10L on the floor when i spotted it.

my bucket handle broke the other day but it was only half full so only about 3L got on the floor, amazing how it sounds so little but it spreads so far!