What is this?

Lady-Lene

Hi all,

All is going well with my new aquarium and I'm so enjoying them .... until some sort of fungus or algae started growing on my piece of driftwood. (see photo). Its kind of grey in colour and slimy feeling.

It only grows on the driftwood so I figured this was the culprit so ......... I tried boiling it in water, then I tried boiling it in Baking Soda, then I tried boiling it in salty water. All to no avail. Then as a last resort I tried Algae-Fix but that hasn't helped either. Time for a new piece of driftwood?

What is it exactly and how do I get rid of it? Your help would be much appreciated as it grows very fast and it takes more work than the fish!

http://www1.snapfish.com/slideshow/Albu ... _=75412825

It is hard to tell from the pic but I too wondered about uneaten food going fungussed but it does appear to be growing on the wood and uneaten food would tend to drop to the bottom, not sit on top of a piece of driftwood.

You aren't using pH Up or Down are you?

Yep - its that greyish fuzz growing on the log. It doesn't show up very well in the photos I'm afraid but looks nasty when viewing in person. (The flakes were only present because I had just fed them - they don't usually leave any leftovers).

Its like a fungus and its definately growing on the log. It does not appear anywhere else in the tank and grows very fast. (I just cleaned the log 2 days ago). Its very difficult to get off and takes much scrubbing.

I got the log from the coast between Taumaranui and Hamilton (now age is showing coz I can't remember the name of the place) :oops: I boiled it in my large soup pot first and it has been in there for a couple of months with no problems until about two weeks ago.

The only thing different I added to the tank during that time was the moss in front of it which I have taken most of out and just left couple of little pieces.

Would it help if I tried to get a closer photo?

Oh .... and no I'm not using PH up or down. The levels are very stable. I wondered if I am leaving the lights on too long?

Managed a closer photo.

http://www1.snapfish.com/slideshow/Albu ... _=75412825

So you think I should get another piece of wood maybe? Its only been in there bout 2 and a half months. I thought they would last longer than that. Do you have any idea how many hours I spent dragging my poor old hubby along the beach looking for that piece :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

when i sunk a few fresh pieces of driftwood i had the greyish fuzzy slime coat for a few weeks, it looked like in your pic but to a slightly lesser degree. mine went away by itself eventually, i dunno exactly what it was but the fish didnt seem effected by it.

if you really like that piece of wood just wait it out, if its the same thing i had it should go away in a few weeks.

Maybe the wood brought the algae in, or perhaps it's always there, but normally has nowhere to grow?

Perhaps there is something in the wood that feeds that algae (such as minerals). If the wood was driftwood, you've got to assume that the 'whatever' can survive salt water. Perhaps a basic solution like sodium hydroxide (caustic soda) would remove it, or at least remove it from the surface of the wood.

Snookie - the wood was average weight when I got it. Not very light like some but not realy heavy either. It did not sink by itself and I had to weight it down for a number of weeks before it was heavy enough to stay down by itself.

Thanks 'adodge' I'll keep that in mind.

Good point Robert! [if the wood was driftwood, you've got to assume that the 'whatever' can survive salt water.] Would a solution sodium hydroxide (caustic soda) be harmful to the fish if any residue was left in the log and I placed it back in the tank?

The fish don't seem to be affected by it at all and my PH etc is all stable so doesn't appear to be affecting the balance. I'll give it a bit longer and see what happens. If I don't win then its off to buy the malaysian hardwood as Jo suggested!

A great big thank you !!!!!!!!!!

Lady-Lene,

NaOH is caustic (thus "caustic soda") but it you soak the wood in the NaOH to kill/remove the 'whatever' then soak it for a while in water any excess NaOH should be removed. Even if some gets absorbed into the wood and is released over time, if you can't detect a change in teh pH of your tank then there is no problem.

It looks like a fungus mycelium to me as opposed to algae because it's grey, not green. If that's the case then the fungus threads will be inside the drift wood so any scrubbing etc won't actually remove it and it'll just grow again.

You could try a bath of something like furan2. PM me if you'd like to try it.