CRACKED HEATER

Whiskas

Well I did a silly thing! I took my heater out of the tank, as i was changing the tanks around, and then iput it into the new tank except it was still hot! (the heater that is;)) So of course as i added water it hissed, sizzled and then the glass casing bit cracked! So my question is can the glass cover bit be replaced? And where can you get the piece from? Also how do you test that the heater still works, since it had water get in on the heating part.

Wat wonderful technical words i use :)

the heater must have to be water tested .

hehe would be nice if these kind of standards were in place! There are heaters on the market at the moment that aren't submersible out of the box, they leak water if submersed.

I'd suggest just buying a new heater.

Important to note (for later) to turn off the heater prior to moving it out of the water, and make sure its not burning hot, its not a heater fault just what happens to the glass they use when you change the temp too quick.

The heater probably still works, the crack will just let water inside. You can tell if it is still working by watching the light turn on and off, and if your tank temp is correct. It is very very important you replace it as soon as possible though.

With cracked heaters there is a big risk of you getting an electric shock when working in the tank. Until you replace it make sure to always unplug it before working in the tank.

Hi thanx for that :)

I did turn off the heater before removing it but guess it hadn't cooled down enoug wen i put it into the tank :oops: I just been out and bought a cheap MasterPet $20 job. Luckily I had another heater and used that, but hadn't planned on using it in this tank.

Also I missed one of my guppies from the old tank and she survived overnite with no heating! And it was quite cold last nite (we almost had a frost apparently!). I was shocked :o We will see if she lasts with no ill effects!

Watch out for the Masterpets, make sure to keep the top out of the water, they're non-submersible which means over time water will get inside it and increase the chance of failure if you leave them underwater.

I recommend AquaClear, AquaOne, or Elite for lower cost heaters, $20-$40 range. I have got Masterpet heaters here that I use, just gotta make sure to keep the water below that line :)

I'm sure you're fish will be fine :) Good luck