My New Cold Water Tank

Gannet

will i be able to grow any plants in there for him? i dont realy have a light for him so that may not work, i do have a light hood on the atm but thts got a reptile tube in it as ive taken it out of my blue tounge tank while my blue tounge is away on holiday

ok as promissed i have1st pics

Image0093.jpg

Image0092.jpg

Image0091.jpg

so now its time for all the ewws and arrs to start lol, btw the only realy i have a purple bulb is because it was the cheapest lol, i got the 10,000k cheaper than the 6,500k buld, so i gess now that i have that i could grow plants, dose java fern grow in clod water?

Yo,

he needs darker, and more hiding places.

always keep the lid on. i've seen small crays climb up the silcone joins in tanks.

as to your high pH, i think it could be your choice of gravel, that stuff looks like its got an endless buffering capacity and will probably be keeping it around 8.

but then you naturally find crays in waterways ranging from pH's 6 through to 8 so it could be sweet, although i would try for low to mid 7s.

the light is only on for taking pics

for a lid i have a mesh one held on by 2 glass lids

the gravel it just small pices of schist so no buffer at all,

more caves wil be added by the means of drift wood and more rocks

i may even try a bit of java moss on the drift wood

Coooool! So good to see another cray! :)

Go nuts making caves all over the tank. The more they have the safer they feel, the more natural they behave.

Don't bother with plants, he will uproot/destroy everything in time. Grow green algae :)

Keep a pot in your freezer of small mixed frozen vegies. I have peas, corn and carrots. Such a convienient way to feed them. I have also found they like green beans, cucumber and ..... something else... They will go nuts for a worm, but it is a long slow death. And mine gets bloodworm that falls to the ground. In the wild they are 95% vegetarian, though my last one just ate three bullies... :evil: I will keep my new one alone, less stress!

Good on you, they make wonderful pets!

Stella

(ooh, I have just uploaded a short video on my photobucket site of the cray 'dancing' or attempting to climb the glass. It is 2mb though.)