This may be a dumb question...

Aquarium Dude

I recommend just buying a pre-made aquarium light hood that just sits on the tank.

But I have made my own and attached them to a wooden hood. I got 5 magnetic ballasts (~$9ea??), 5 starters (50c or something), 5 sprung loaded endcaps ($3?), 5 normal end caps ($3?), some thin wire ($10), some mains cable ($10) and a plug ($15) plus the 5 tubes ($7ea) and wired it all together. Goes great, and was much cheaper than buying pre-made units, but if you're not good with mains powered electronics, best to avoid it.

Got the bits at a local electronics wholesaler.

I will be DIYing a few more, just because I can't afford premade units and I've got another planted tank to setup in a few months. But next time I"ll go for those waterproof endcaps with the flying leads, and I'll try to get electronic ballasts which are much better.

It all depends on what sort of tank and lid you have and how much space there is for lighting. My lights are in a reflector and just sit on top of the glass lid (that stops water splashing the electrics, and fish leaping out), under the wooden lid that covers all.

I would prefer not to play with mains strength electricity. but something that you can buy with a controller and endcaps would be better. I was looking at the aqua one lights but there quite high and so would need quite a large hood.

I found arcadia fittings like that but where can you buy them?

The Arcadia Controller you're referring to is a fancy tool to control light output, you really dont need that, just a standard ballast setup is all thats needed.

Just get an off-the-shelf Aquarium light, preferably dual. You can get them up to 4' from SwitchedOnGardner ( www.sog.co.nz ) quite cheap (certainly cheaper than your LFS). They're about 30-50mm tall. They're your only option without going custom or $500+, and certainly the lowest profile. Common brands are 'Big Boy' and 'Aqua One'.

Or if you want second hand just go to trademe or ask in the private trade and exchange on this forum. Here is just a random example I found on tardeme in about 2 minutes: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Pe ... 543114.htm thats a dual 3 foot (with 3ft tubes too)

When the bulbs die you can buy new 6500K Daylight tubes in any common length up to 4' for less than $10 from any electrical wholesaler.

I have three masterpet single 30W fluro lights with reflectors for my 4 ft tank. I can't fit anymore lights in unless I made them up myself, but not my forte so I'll just stick to pre-made ones. I found it a bit frustating to find the right ones as some of the premade lights are too high and won't fit under the hood.

why dont you just go to mitre 10 and get the premade lights? i think they cheaper thn $60 and come with tubes?

also check things like the buy sell swap(not sure what every other city calls it) people aways are trying to get rid of them.

i got my 4foot for free from the local swithed on gardener, he had heaps out the back that he had just replaced, two new tubes $15 or something and away i went.

Where can you get arcadias in chch?

most places in chch can get them but i think redwood has some in stock last time i was there about 3 months ago

i also was about to order one in but the owner of a unnamed LFS told me not to get it, as they are over priced and he guarantees me that i would not be happy with it

i end up going to master trade and made up my own light