Discus Red Melon Spawning

Luke*

Cheers guys. I was really thinking it was a lost cause there for a while! Especially as this is their first time spawning in a tank by themselves and sometimes discus can be unsure what to do at various stages of the process. Luckily for me they did an excellent job :)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Hi Luke

Question aimed at CHCH buyers who might be interested in your discus (Green Teffe x Royal Red on TM) or these melons. Any CHCH buyers who would like to go in on shipping some discus to CHCH (assuming you're willing of course?)? I think I saw some of your discus with Rob T.? How big are the melons now? When might you be looking at selling them?

Regards, TGWH

Heya! Thanks for the enquiry. Yes I would definitely send down there as I've sent 5 before overnight to Robert.. I guess that's the same guy you speak of? And they were all fine. I just need to buy some bags :) Re the red melons I only ended up with 6; I think flukes got the better of the others slowly. I've now treated the parents twice with PP to kill the flukes. I decided to put those 6 babies in my 4 ft planted tank as I've never had discus in there before. They look very cute and already the solid orange colour is coming through. As of tonight I have a fresh 200-300 if not more eggs! I've never seen so many. They laid on the terracotta pot at last. I siphoned the detritus out of the bottom, scrubbed the sides, and added methylene blue and formalin to help prevent egg fungus. Watch this space. (So need a new camera lens!)

my pair laid about 300ish eggs aswell my guess is there are about 250ish feeding from their parents now they are so cool.

My female is a Blue Snakeskin and my Male is a Blue Turqouise(sp?)

They've always eatin their eggs :( but not this time :P:P:P

They became free swimming on sat 21 so only a couple of days old.

:bounce:

Hi Thanks

would it be best to use the flash or not (i Dont want to scare them) I will try tomorrow after school when should i turn the sponge filter back on and is it safe to start water changes and wipeing out the tank again

I used to change about a 3rd of the water each day how much should i d now they are in a 3ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft tank.

You're doing everything right, nice. Illuminate the tank as much as you can then take a photo without the flash, I reckon the photos turn out more natural this way and it doesn't scare the fish so much.

Turn the filter back on when the fry are firmly 'attached' to the parents, which is usually after 24 hrs. You can experiment to see how they find it, or reduce the output.

You can do a water change but I would give it another day or so myself because when you add the new water, even slowly, the fry can go flying. The fry are very sensitive to water changes so if you do do it, make sure the new water is the same temp and pH as the old water and pour it onto a plate or something like that first. Goodluck :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys sorry about the late reply sub.z! No I got my melons off a reputable breeder in Auckland :)

Update is I got down to 6 50c piece-sized melons which wasn't much to work with, I think flukes got the best of the others, so I put them in my 4ft community tank but unfortunately they disappeared after a while. The good news is I treated the parents for flukes twice then they spawned again and had HEAPS of eggs. Now I think I have about 30 of the melons 10c piece-sized and I'm feeding them up on brine shrimp (everyday), daphnia (occasionally), and color bits (everyday). Once I get my new lens I'll definitely get pics up (*goes to look on TM for a good Canon lens*) :)

Thanks guys :)

I forgot to mention I had to move the Dad on Sunday to a community discus tank cuz the juveniles had ripped a gash in his side from over-zealous feeding! He was lying near the bottom recovering sometimes. The good news is he's doing well in the community tank hopefully he'll be good as new soon.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...