Whats a good brand of heater

Aquarium Dude

I have used cheaper ones without probs but the benchmark heater is Jager (made by eheim). they say 1.5 W per litre so yeah 3x 200 W would work, or 2x 300 watts. I'm not sure which of these two would be best, as I have never had any tanks over 250 litres myself so...

Elite heaters - Awesome! Mid-range as far as price goes, easy to adjust, look great, are fully sumbersable and just are fab.

Jebo - either work great or fail completely, mine all work great are easy to adjust and cheap.

AquaClear - once they've been setup can be annoying to adjust, and there is no guide to a rough estimate of temp, otherwise a very reliable heater, also thin profile. These are recommend by our LFS as the best cheap option.

Masterpet - HORRIBLE, do not touch these, if you do keep the top out of the water as they will fill with water, and if you try to disassemble them to get the water out they break. They are not fully-submersible.

AquaOne Glass - never used them, but they're non-submersible so I put them in the same bag as Masterpet.

AquaOne Stainless w/external thermostat - have only heard good things, have heard of one failure with the thermostat unit but thats it, owners report more accurate temp control and the external thermo makes it damn easy to adjust.

Jager - best in the business, but with a price to match

Fluvaltronic - reputable name, never used one.

Most important thing is to look on the box for 'FULLY SUBMERSIBLE' if they're not then you have to keep the top of them out of the water all the time and its a total PITA.

im sure they are submersible, any way mine have been for the last 2 years :D

they are differently submersible, most of my heaters are AquaOne/ViaAqua. haven't failed yet but they're pretty average as far as keeping temperature steady.

Jebo is the only brand that has failed on me. but when it does work its probly just as good as AquaOne but why take the risk when both brand cost the same.

AquaOne stainless steel is pretty good but i only have one so cant really judge.

Weipro is by far the best out of all the ones i've tried but hard to find these days.

Jagerbit over rated i think as i personally don't find it that much better and cost over twice the price.

Elite cool looking design but the novelty wears off and the large round head becomes an eye sore.

i am currently trying these out i got bought over from China and seem to be working really REALLY well. will be getting more if it stays working as it is.

http://www.cblue.com.tw/english/cs061A%20eng.htm

here is what i think with the heaters i have used

aqua one, cheap and so so, you get for what you paid for

Fluvaltronic, i would never use one again, had them in 3 of my tanks and they just failed one by one (two wont heat and one boiled my fish)

jager, a awesome heater, never had any problems, i have them in most my tanks now...only thing is that the 300watt one is SUPER long! and you need alot of room for one

JBL (dont think you can get them here?) another great unit, you can get a 300watt heater that is very small and powerful

Currently have Elite 150w heater and am happy with it, the only thing is the temperature gauge on the unit is completely wrong.

Whats the point of paying heaps for a Jagger when your supposed to replace heaters every year (or so Im told).

Can you get heaters that can be put inline with a canister filter or are really unobtrusive in the tank?

Ps. Thanks everyone for your input

Those gauges are never accurate, but its much better than having nothing at all. You'll also find that most thermometers for aquariums vary by up to 5 degrees in accuracy with some types.

AquaClear are the least obtrusive, they're thin glass and dont have a big hat. Our LFS recommends them, but I'm really liking these Elite heaters (but they are obtrusive visually).

I've got about 6 AquaClears, all developed an internal mist quickly but it hasn't affected the operation of any of them, and they seem to do a good job at keeping all my tanks at stable temps.

Just been looking at heaters, are the Hydor (sp) heaters the only practicle inline heaters avalible.

Also, where can you get them and are they alright?

the only one i know of and only seen them for sale on trademe. haven't seen them on auction for a while though.

i go for jager without question now as i have had a few other brands explode on me and its not fun having your arm in the tank when it happens.

I don't know about that replacing every year thing. i had a jager running for about 7 years and it was sweet and i have a few other friends who have done similar. the temp continued to stay accurate and did the job. they were so old they were the ones with the green tops not these fancy black topped ones hahahahahaha.

Still haev one actually but dont have a tank to use it in.

We have used 4 types..

One piddly thin little supposed heater called Scuba, and I won't go there, one word describes them *terrible!* :lol

Aqua One - Have them and have had no problems at all.

Jebo - Definately a bit dodgy, not a fan.

Jager - Our favourites, pricey but you get what you pay for :D

Now we just stick to Jager mostly and have Aqua One for our little holding and breeding tanks.

• 1 month later...