Growth Rate question

herefishiefishie

I know a couple of the species are not available in NZ. But people can still have a guess, or look up fish for something to do...

I had a run 2 months ago where I had 4 mbuna species holding all at once.

I have got the 4 species together in one 4 foot tank, more for convenience, well lack of room.

The question I ask the members is.... what do you think has grown the quickest out of these guys?

Pseudotropheus acei ngara

Electric Yellows

Pseudotropheus demasoni

Labidochromis sp mbamba

One species is miles in front. I will add photos at the end.

or even place in an order..

Frenchy :D

Demasoni?? :P

I have Demasoni fry that my female spat a few days ago, and they are growing rapidly.. She spat 12 for her first time, over the moon! They were a reasonable size to, I am so surprised she could carry them all! I have since put her back with the colony, the next morning I turn the lights on the tank and hello, another Demasoni holding (only a smaller female) :lol: :lol:

One species I do find streets ahead with growth... is the Johanni, mine rocket with size..

Mekhaela :D

Ooopppps forgot I posted this up here :lol:

The Demasoni are miles in front which is a suprise seeing as they are the smallest of the mbuna. Then when I thought about that, maybe in the wild they need to reach maturity quickly because of their small size.

The mbambas are 2nd, Acei & yellows seem to be the same. These have the highest difference in size. Some being close to the mbambas, the others, really tiny. Acei's are the biggest of the lot when fully grown.

In the pic is a demasoni, yellow & mbamba. You may be able to make out a white calvus baby, looks like a smudge though lol.

Workphotos137.jpg

Frenchy :D

• 2 weeks later...