January 3, 200719 yr comment_138127 I just need to know some differences between these two algae eaters. Do Ottos need wood to eat like BNs? Any aggression? I heard that Ottos sometimes cling onto other fish. What types of algae to Ottos eat? In your opinion what is better in reducing algae levels? Ottos or Flying foxes? Thanks in advance. Report
January 3, 200719 yr comment_138128 I would go with both They both have their advantages. SAE's will eat black beard algae, whereas oto's will not. SAE's also however will eat any food dropped into the tank, but oto's won't (thus concentrating their efforts more on eating algae). If I had to choose one, I would go with the oto's though. Report
January 3, 200719 yr comment_138131 Neither. Order in a Siamese Algae Eater (NOT to be confused with Chinese Algae Eater), looks like a flying fox but is better at algae consumption, only need one. I have heard Otto's are wild caught, and I hear they are quite delicate to water conditions. The otto's are known to be much much better thread algae eaters, but they're always tiny in the stores and so fragile (apparently). If I had to chose between your two, I'd go with the flying fox, its cheap, hopefully does the job, and easy to keep. If it doesn't do the job, you're only out $14. SAEs are about $25 I think, but when you order them they're quite small. Most planted tank owners I've met use the SAE for thread algae, and bristlenose or plec for regular algae. Wish there was a fish that ate that green spot algae hmmph Report
January 3, 200719 yr comment_138132 Wish there was a fish that ate that green spot algae hmmph I second that! I had 4 Ottos for years... great fish, just mainly stayed out of sight eating away at the algae. They ate a lot at the back of my tank off the slate background I have. One died recently, must've been old age as the other 3 are still fine. I also have 3 flying foxes. I spotted one of the flying foxes eating thread algae today which was great to see (still going to treat it though). Yes they are fragile to water changes, so when introducing them, add them over an hour long period. It's a good idea to do this with neon tetras too. Report
January 3, 200719 yr comment_138154 I have 8 Otos in my plant tank.. beautiful little critters always seem to be at work :lol: They are more so delicate as a fish, however, the last lot of Otos that came in before the most recent lot were a real fat decent size, was really impressed.. Report
January 4, 200719 yr comment_138309 flying foxes and Siamese algae eaters are different. http://www.thekrib.com/Fish/Algae-Eaters/ THat explains alot and about identification I have a golden algae eater and that has worker wonders for me. It doesnt get that green spot algae though :-? Ottos will stay a lot smaller also 4cm SAE's get 14 i think. Report
January 4, 200719 yr comment_138331 has any one seen otto's about recently? was told at lfs that for some reason there wasn't any to be got Report
January 4, 200719 yr comment_138333 Hutt Pets in Lower Hutt has a tank with Otto's inside at present, also lots of flying fox, but no SAE (but can be ordered). Report
January 4, 200719 yr comment_138338 have 10 ottos, great fish. very easy to keep if you have good water quality. going to add another 10 after a few months. Report
January 4, 200719 yr comment_138426 yea , i think i will need them as i will be running metal halides and just added the co2 unit. all good for plants but also algae if tank gets out of balance. Report
January 4, 200719 yr comment_138433 Yeap true that mate, I also run MH and CO2 though and I've had a sweet balance for a long time *touchwood* Only thing is you get the green spot algae but a weekly clean of this clears it right up. Looks awesome if you do this the same time as a water change and when you fill it back up it must mix the CO2 really well around the tank as bubbles just fly off all the plants Report
January 4, 200719 yr comment_138435 Hutt Pets in Lower Hutt has a tank with Otto's inside at present, also lots of flying fox, but no SAE (but can be ordered). are you sure they are flying fox not SAE? they are labeled as flying fox i know...but looks to me they are SAE because they are not that colourful and their stripe runs from nose to tail. also there are no black stripe on their dorsal fin. o Report
January 4, 200719 yr comment_138444 are you sure they are flying fox not SAE? they are labeled as flying fox i know...but looks to me they are SAE because they are not that colourful and their stripe runs from nose to tail. also there are no black stripe on their dorsal fin. o Well I asked Ben and he said they were Flying Fox (and they ordered them in as 'Flying Fox'), but he told me he could order me in an SAE if I needed it. I was in there looking for a thread algae eater. So if they are SAE, then the importer is doing a sneaky. I thought they were Flying Fox tho because they looked more gold than silver to me? I'll have to check again now I have all the info about them. I compared them on the day to the Flying Fox at animates, and they looked the same. Guess it can't hurt to take a drive over to the hutt and check it out. I'll let you know. Report
January 6, 200719 yr comment_138815 They are definately SAE, not Flying Fox. Apparently it's easier for the importer to import them under the same name 'Flying Fox' rather than seperate species, downside to this is that the fish store must label them as 'Flying Fox'. I bought one today. Only ten bucks. Report
January 6, 200719 yr comment_138838 got to agree with Antwan, SAE got rid of my Black Bearded algae in less than a week, and it had a good hold on the plants. :lol: Haven't seen any ottos up our way, anyone know where I can find a picture? Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.