Co2

evilknieval69

My Co2 bottle is an old fire extinguisher. I picked it up from a metal recycler, got it tested and a value added, from memory all up it cost me $150 or so filled. The tester suggested using the steel type (if you can get one) rather than the ally one's but just because they are less likely to fail the test.

I found a fire extinguisher at work today sitting in the corner. The lever puller thingy on the top has snapped off (the top one) Im pretty sure its going to the rubbish. Do i need that part? Or could i just pull that off and put a reg straight onto the top? (unlike the one pictured which has the reg after the lever) Will any fire extinguisher bottle be sweet or what?

No the cyclinder needed to be re-certified because it had expried, hence it was at the metal recyclers. It has to be a CO2 fire extinguisher, you can't convert other types to hold CO2.

Also even if you left the handle thing on top you would need to take it to shop, because if you look closely you can see that the pin is still in and the handle isn't depressed, therefore it must have had the valve removed from inside. Also you would need to have a fitting attached to to the output to attach the regulator to.

My one has had the whole handle part removed and a normal valve attached.

I just checked the invoice which is still attached to the bottle, valve was $100, cert was $20 and fill was $25.

The only problem I came across was finding a certifier that would do it, the guy at wards in the hutt wouldn't do it and told me it couldn't be done, and that my only option was to buy one of his $300 cylinders. Haha, and he was grumpy.

The guy in Porirua was good as gold and had it done the next day. He also sold me a regulator at really good price.

Well i had a closer look at the bottle at work today, and it is a co2 bottle!!! The handle on top has broken off, so it cant be squeezed (set off) which means that it is probably heading for the bin anyways.... So if i scored it, what would i need to do? Take it to boc im guessing and get it certed because it looks pretty old. How would i hook up a regulator to it with the handle being broken? Any ideas?

entire handle will have to be replaced with a proper tap. This tap will be what the regulator fits onto. Taps were unavailable for a long time but have recently become available with a RRP of $25-$65 depending on where and who you know. Fit, cert and fill will range between $50 and $100 - depending once again on place and people.

Best of luck.

You may find it easier and less expensive to buy a pre-made bottle as in this recent post but I can only assume your bottle would be the standard 3.5kg bottle, so better value for money (best price I've found was $180). Anyways, going through the process is a good learning experience so have at it :)

So do you have a reg, solenoid, needle valve, bubble counter, hosing and a diffuser yet? I have an all-in-one unit available

solenoidico2rig.jpg

regsolbubbleneedlecomboTM.jpg

It's an all-in-one unit and works out approximately like this - dual guage regulator $150, Solenoid (made in germany) $125, Needle valve $40, JBJ bubble counter $60. BUT this is a complete unit and won't be separated or disassembled, prices above are purely for educational purposes. These are specialtly items and require no extra costs of fittings or connectors to put them together or get going (obviously) which saves a lot of time and hassle when DIYing it.

You may find it a bit cheaper to build your own, but they don't look nearly as nice and can result in a lot of headaches. Then again, if you can get a second hand reg with needle valve on trademe for $80 you can go down to your local plumber and pay $200 for a solenoid and maybe $20 for connections and still come out less expensive.

edit - forgot about a bubble counter. Pill bottle style ones are $30 so you can STILL come out cheaper, just not as flash looking...