Starlight Bristlenose - A. Punctatus L182 Spawn

Faran

After a long long LONG wait my starlight bristlenoses (Ancistrus Punctatus L182) spawned. I noticed it on New Years Eve but didn't do much about it until today. Dad is busy fanning eggs and they should hatch within the next few days. If all goes well, this beautiful bristlenose may finally be available in a few months time. Unlike other "starlight" or "starry night" bristlenoses you may have seen available in the past, this bristlenose has a nice head of bristles on the males, a cute lip of bristles on the females, and a nice dark colour with fine pink/white spots speckled over the body.

To my understanding, my parents are wild caught so fatalities may be high raising these little guys, so here's hoping for the best in the coming months.

starlightspawnsmall.jpg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just did my morning rounds and found some wrigglers in the tank. Sad to say some of the dither fish (a strain of guppies I'm working on) killed about a dozen before I frantically fished them out, but still looks like there's plenty of eggs and wrigglers in the cave with dad. Hopefully he'll slow down the fanning and stop kicking out kids soon!

In regards to the above comments, thanks for the welcome backs and compliments on the photo. Have to say the camera never got much use as a fish shooter since I walked away from the forums shortly after getting it. Nice to finally use it for one of its intended purposes. I'll get some pics of the wrigglers later on when I have time.

Edit - Had a good go at snapping to no avail. Can't get the flash to illuminate the fry at the back of the bamboo cave :( Would post pics of the half dozen fry I rescued from the guppies but if you've seen one ancistrus wriggler, you've seen them all :P

Quick update - wrigglers have absorbed half the egg sac and are developing colour on the bodies. Still can't get a pic of the ones with poppa, but the half dozen in the fry trap are looking good (for the most part).

starlightspawnday2web.jpg

fishboi - left everything I could in the cave with dad. The ones that were already out were rescued and put in a floating fry trap with air stone as per my article last year on artificial raising of ancistrus eggs/fry last year - here. Spawning was triggered by the weather, I'd assume. First time I'd seen them even think about it in 6 months.

Exciting stuff!!!

Dibs on first sales! hehe

Best of luck, sounds like you're going to have a good first spawn. Make sure to keep some of those young for yourself though :) They look gorgeous.

Good to see you back on the forums too dude, btw Mark's kribensis just became great grandparents! (and I artifically raised them too!).

Thanks again, everyone. Camera is a Sony DSC-H5 and takes amazing pictures.... if you have the patience to try different settings until you get it right.

So here's a quick pic from this morning. Not much difference aside from the visible darkening and smaller yolk sac.

starlightspawnday3.jpg

I'm just hoping I don't walk in to find a tank full of little dead bodies once the yolk sacs are fully absorbed. That's the dangerous time - getting them onto solid foods.

rcon - could you post or PM me links with all the reported breedings you've come across from A. Punctatus? I'd assume that they're just like any other ancistrus, but you never know! Is this the first reported breeding in NZ?

Here's a pic of dad when he was cruising the tank one day. Just thought I'd post this so others will see what they are and what exactly mine look like. I know that a few locals and even MiNcIE and rcon021 have seen them in real life, so here's a piccie for the rest. As there's nothing there for relative size comparison I'll just mention now that he's about 7 inches long, which equates to about 17cm.

starlightmaleweb.jpg

Day 3 - yolk sacs almost fully absorbed and the fry are now what I would call free swimming. Dad is still very protective and doesn't allow his brood to leave the cave, but the few in the fry saver give a good idea of development.

starlightspawnday3webfinal.jpg

starlightspawnday3web.jpg

Apologies for the blurry photo(s), but they're a lot harder to take pics now that they're self propelled!

Day 4 of my online journal, fry are doing very well but this is the crucial time when going off yolk and onto food. I haven't seen a single one so much as touch a pleco chip or courgette, so will be sprinkling the bottom of the tank with a little BBS to stimulate feeding. Poppa Starlight is still keeping most of them from venturing amongst the tank (even though it's completely empty) but a few have managed to escape and are darting madly around the tank when I stroll by.

So here's todays pic! Poppa with a small army of little clones surrounding him in the cave...

starlightspawnday4web.jpg