Lime rock

farmchick

Hey gurus :lol:

As I have a vivid imagination and access to lots of free lime rock, I am wanting to make some rock caves for my malawis.

With my imagination, lime rocks, slate and silicone I have the perfect picture in my head but I need to know if the lime will be okay in the tank. I know it will eventually wear away to nothing but as it will be free to me for the next decade or so, Im really wanting to give it a go.

What are the benefits and/or pitfalls?

I have a 1200mm community tank which is heavily planted and contains three large rocks of Takaka marble (also calcium carbonate) where I have created a cave in each one. The tank gets a 50% water change every one or two weeks if it is lucky. The plants seem to like it as it contains E.martii, red special and ozelot all with runners and the fish, including discus are quite happy. You will reduce the hardness created by removing it with water changes and reducing the creation of acid condition by the type and amount of food given.

• 3 weeks later...