yet another power thread

Tsarmina

ok, i know theres a few threads about power cuts, but i'm just too lazy to go hunting for them :oops: :roll:

i have just received a letter stating that our power will be off between 10am-3pm on friday.

what are the bits i need to remember?

i know towels / blankets wrapped around the tank to help keep warm, but are there any other hints and tips from those who have been through it before?

we have a gas burner so i can do top ups of warm water if need be. the thing i'm worried about is the airation and filtration.

thanks

Tsar

its not the fish you need to worry about, its the bacteria colonies- they die very quickly (bout an hour or so) without oxygenated water passing thru their living quarters.

you could probably put all the media trays/filters into a bin with tank water with a few battery operated air stones to keep the water moving until the power comes back on if your concerned about the colonies- this is how i intend to do it when i get my lazy behind around to getting some battery operated pumps :lol:

Also... you can use a computer UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply).

A 600 amp costs us about $130 (guess) Haven't sold one in a while...

That would run your bubbler and pump for a fair while.

I wonder if the Fishie Clubs would consider purchasing a couple of kickass sized ones to hire out?? For known power outages you'd pay $20 + the same again courier to "hire" it for a weekend easy??

Man, I am having a good idea day. This is good idea #2. The other I cant divulge.

Some time ago our area under went major changes with our power supply. We went from above ground to under ground. When I first recieved my letter saying that the power was going to be off for upto 8 hours I rung them explaining I had tropical fish and that i could not be withput power for that long. To cut a long story short on the day of the cut, they turned up with a portable generator and supplied me power that way. They were absolutely brilliant

Cheers

well the power guys are brilliant (not something i'd say often about them).

they have been busy all day replacing a power pole outside our driveway. they did everything that they could, without cutting our power, first.

power was off for a total of 35mins :o:bow::bow:

mark told them this morning about the fish and they did their best to keep the time as short as possible.