Rivertank build with pics [Fishboi 1000 post]

fishboi

i thought i'll so something different for my 1000's post. WOW :o i post a lot!!! average 4 post a day. hope i dont talk too much Cr@p :D :oops:

rivertank= tank with a continuous one directional flow of water.

i am goin to do a very simple walk though on the steps i took in building this river tank. its an 2.5' X 1' X 1' tank. this particular tank is build for Plecos. [5 X L226]

equipment needed: tank, clear tube, double sponge filter, pump/powerhead, saw or scissors, substrate of ur choice and 1 X L joint.

equipment.jpg

this is done on the cheap but u can do this on a much larger scale and replace clear tubing with PVC pipes. u could also make ur own sponge filter intake by drilling multiple holes into the pipe or have multiple sponge filter with a larger powerhead.........skys the limit.

first i have to straighten the clear piping and i did this by sticking a piece of bamboo though it then pour boiling water over it quickly followed by cold water this setting the pipe straight.

tube.jpg

i used a fluval double sponge filter and just replaced the original piping with the clear tube shown below.

sponge.jpg

spongefilter.jpg

now cut the tubing to the length of the tank, leaving enough room to accommodate the size of ur powerhead. connect the L joint to the other end and add an piece of tubing to the height u want ur powerhead to be.

Ljoint.jpg

i started the tank with sand base just because i had some lying around so its really not needed.

tanksand.jpg

its that easy now u have the intake on one side and powerhead on the other.

tubein.jpg

i then over the piping with peat as these particular plecos comes from the back waters of peru where the water is very soft and most properly tanned.

i then sprayed the peat wet so it doesn't float when i fill the tank up. instead of peat u could use all sand or just straight to gravel. for a planted tank use proper planting mix.

peatwide.jpg

peat.jpg

final layer i used fine gravel. if ur goin to use peat u would have to have another layer on top to avoid a mess with floating bit of peat.

gravel.jpg

now u can fill the tank up and attach the powerhead and heater if needed. i used a cheap 800L/h Nova pump. added some plants and fish to help cycle the tank.

best to use a powerhead with adjustable flow because u might find the ur flow is too strong and the current is hitting the other side and bouncing back rather than though the intake. to test if ur river tank is successful put a piece of cork or something similar and see if it floats to the end and stays there if it does then SUCCESS!! if it hits the end and bounce back then current is too strong or not enough intake, if the cork don't make it to the end the u need a stronger powerhead.

water.jpg

i then added more half pots as caves as i dont have enough drift/bog wood. this pic is 1 week later

1week-1.jpg

then 2 weeks later.

2weeks.jpg

the tanks has been set up for a few months now and the system works great. wouldn't change anything to it but would strongly suggest to use PVC piping if u can just to make the overall system stronger as i am finding the soft tubing easily be pulled up if ur not careful while taking the sponge out for cleaning.

i have most properly missed something or are unclear at explaining certain areas so all question and comments are welcome :D

Nice looking setup you got there fishboi.

Well done, wouldnt mind setting up something like that sometime for my BN. Are you planning to breed the 5 L226 you are putting in there?

I have Black irrigation tube in 13mm that would be a bit more strengthier than the clear piping i think, might be a better alternative to clear stuff, and cheaper than pvc?....

Oh and well done, you finally joined the 1000 Club, only a few thousand to go untill you catch up to ira :lol:

thanks evil

yeah irrigation pipe would differently be stronger but mite be a little bit too thin? really depends on the intake of the powerhead too.

the L226 have been in the tank since August and i've been putting them though a dry season till just over 2 weeks ago. they've have all the signs of spawning but nothing yet.

doing water changes everyday since last week as suggested by another pleco breeder and it seem to be creating more interest, they've been chasing and what looks to be spawning all the time.

hopefully they would breed but who knows as they've never been done before.

• 4 months later...

Thanks for the ideas and pics. Its always good to see and read. I have always wondered what powerheads are for. Have I got this right - they are used to direct the water flow towards the filter intake or is this just what you are using this one for.

What fish like a strong water flow?

Most fish from rivers (amazon excl) enjoy a good current. This tank would be built for particular plecs that originate from fast flowing rivers and have compressed bodies. I say Amazon excluded, as the Amazon is such a large body of water that discus and other fish can happily live in large areas with no current at all.

Thanks for the ideas and pics. Its always good to see and read. I have always wondered what powerheads are for. Have I got this right - they are used to direct the water flow towards the filter intake or is this just what you are using this one for.

power heads basically just gives a tank a bit more circulations so u dont get any dead spots.

this being a river tank, how strong is the current? A canister would also work well to create flow?

about couple of weeks ago the cheap Nova pump craped out so i've replaced it with a 1000L/H pump, the tank is about 60L so it turns the water just under 17 times every hour which is not quit enough.

a canister does not create much of a current at all as its not what its designed for but is great as an extra filter system along with a power head.

a canister does not create much of a current at all as its not what its designed for but is great as an extra filter system along with a power head.

that doesn't sound right to me, i had to turn the spraybar from my CF1000 directly into the glass because it created too much current in my 200L tank. if you put the suck pipe in one end & the sprybar in the opposite end I expect it would make alot of current.

Agreed. Another good way to create current is to put a bubble wall along one end of a tank and crank up the airflow. You'd be amazed how much current this can create. I knew a guy that was raising some odd fish in an aquarium this way.

that doesn't sound right to me, i had to turn the spraybar from my CF1000 directly into the glass because it created too much current in my 200L tank. if you put the suck pipe in one end & the sprybar in the opposite end I expect it would make alot of current.

maybe its just me but all my 1000L power head certainly creates a stronger flow than any of my CF1200 canisters.

Your CF1200 is likely pumping far less than your 1000lph power head, and if you've got a spray bar on it, it's probably got a wider, slower flow too.

thats what i am mean, even though it says its 1200L/H its surely not pumping that sort of water flow on the out let. [i dont use spray bar]

Dont quote me on this but I may have a theory. Maybe the cf1000 and cf1200 share the same powerhead or motor/pump in it.. but in the cf1000, the pipings etc are smaller than the cf1200 altho the latter has more volume. But with the cf1000's smaller diameter piping and same pumps = higher pressure/flow rate than the cf1200's

I have a cf1200 and I can say they are not that poerful in terms of flow compared to the cf1000's

I have a 120cm tank with about 35 1 1/2 litre bottles in it for male fighters, running a cf1200. Not enough current to pick up all the muck so think I probably need a powerhead now I know what they are for instead of going for a bigger cannister filter. Thanks everyone.