A good read

herefishiefishie

Brad has got himself a new book called "The New Illustrated Guide to Fish Diseases" It is a fantastic book for those that want to explore the disease side of things more. I may have to buy one myself, I am sure brad will get pissed at me soon if I keep reading when I pay him visits :roll:

Heres an add for it...

The New Illustrated Guide to Fish Diseases

The New Illustrated Guide to Fish Diseases in Ornamental Tropical and Pond Fish

Observing - Recognising - Preventing - Treating

It is one thing to select beautiful fish for your aquarium or pond, it is quite another to recognise diseases in your fish and also effectively combat them using proper drugs.

Many books are thick on text, but thin on photograph's; this book by contrast, features 1,000 photographs of sick fish.

After 25 years of research, Gerald Bassleer, an international authority in the field of fish diseases, has written this 'New Illustrated Guide to Fish diseases', as an extended and improved version of the popular 'Colorguide of fish diseases' (1982) This book will enable the fish hobbyist:

- To recognise diseases in fish with the aid of a multitude of accurate photographs

- To trace the underlying causes on the basis of a questionnaire

- To familiarise himself with major fish diseases through concise descriptions written in plain language

- to apply the correct treatment based on clear descriptions of practical uses of the latest medications

This book is a lavishly-illustrated aid to making the right diagnosis, not only for the home hobbyist, but also for the aquarium retailer or pond centre, and for the veterinarian's or fish doctor's practice.

Please Note: This Book does not cover Marine fish diseases

Author:

Dr. Gerald Bassleer (°1954) is a trained fish pathobiologist with 25 years of experience in the trade and treatment of tropical ornamental fish. He has worked for major wholesalers in Belgium, USA, The Netherlands and Germany. Now he has founded his own import/export business 'Bassleer Biofish' in Belgium.

Author: Gerald Bassleer

2nd edition 2006

Hardback 305mm x 215mm

232 pages 1000 full colour photographs

Frenchy :D

It sounds good. I have the TFH Handbook of Fish Diseases by Dieter Untergasser. How would you say the books compare? I like the pics in the TFH book, very helpful, but do find following some of the chart to med links a bit confusing. Plus a lot of the meds talked about are not available here or are known under different names.

I have both books, both are good; Bassleers is more current, although Deiter has recently written an updated version, German Only.

Bassleers will also be available with a CD-rom version later this year.

Bassleers book uses both origional names for meds and also distributors and brand names. Not all meds are available "Off the Shelf" in NZ- because of legislation in NZ governing the registration of veterinary meds, and others may be difficult to extract from Vets due to changes in rules governing the distribution and use of antibiotics.

Bassleers book is designed to be used in conjuction with a Microscope, many pics are not going to assit with diagnosis with the "naked eye", but this is the case with many fish diseases.

Aquarium Munster microscopes are available from fish shops in NZ, PM for stockists :wink:

Fishlopaedia by Mary Bailey & Peter Burgess & is the book being issued to students taking the Certificate in Companion Animal Services for Aquatics. The course is run by the Mahurangi Institute of Technology.

The book has not many pics for disease ID, but quite alot of good info about disease and treatment, also lots of other information on fish husbandry.

I now have my very own copy.

Bassleers book is designed to be used in conjuction with a Microscope, many pics are not going to assit with diagnosis with the "naked eye", but this is the case with many fish diseases

I beg to differ on that one. There is a section on microscopic examination. Most of the diseases have good photos of what the fish look like when affected by different diseases.

Obviously if you want to see the pathogen, parasite...you will need a microscope. But when you can see the change of colour on a fish, patches, breathing problems, gill damage & the like. It tends to lead you to a particular disease.

Frenchy :D