heat packs

2fishy

Come on Caryl,

The weather is changable at this time of year all you need is a cold night and the fish die, I had this just recently.Another shipment only just made it.

The other thing is you as I are more aware on how to corretly pack fish others are not so sure.

I always use them, I call it insurance.

I don't like it when people say YOUR FISH DIED :oops: all for the cost of a heat pack.

:wink: You know i'm not having a bite or anything, it's just smarter IMHO to use them especially if the fish carry a price tag over $100.00 or on request.

Sports shops have them.

You don't need heat packs at this time of year. I just sent fish to Hamilton from Blenheim in cooler bags with no heat pads. Not a problem.

Hi there, I am interested in your comments about fish travelling without heat packs. I recently had some fish sent on a day courier, well packaged in a poly box, and the temperature on arrival (at 3.30pm) was 20 degrees. The fish seemed fine, and soon warmed up in their new home. What is the experience of others on fish being in cooler water when travelling??

Thanks, Sam

Scuba- fish will handle cooling much better than over heating (which rarely happens when using heat packs unless its done wrong). i have read of discus surviving temps down to around 15C during shipping, loss of power etc tho they will go very very sluggish and will need to be bought back up to normal temps very slowly. even in well insulated poly boxs the temp can still drop quickly if the outside temps are low.

2fishy- i would think your supplier may be able to supply you some, have you checked with them? i think there are some on trademe too and work out really cheap if you buy bulk :)

Just had a botched courier/fish incident, the fish ended up getting left in the depot, they even started with one heatpack, temp got down to 16degrees celsious, redirected back to where they came from and a 10cm nice pigeon carked it, I agree with Stu, don't risk it. :evil:

Stu is right. It is the speed at which the temperature drops or rises that is the problem. To be fair, I should say my fish flew as hand luggage, they were not couriered so weren't left sitting in a cold warehouse somewhere.

You can also just fill a plastic bottle with hot water and wrap it in a towel or newspaper but if you are paying by weight a heat pack is lighter so can be cheaper if your weight is such that it takes you into the next price category. eg I was quoted $28 per 5kg to courier. My fish weighed 8kg so adding a bottle of water would not have made a price difference as I was already into the 2nd price category. If the fish had been just under 5kg a bottle of water may have added another $28 to the cost as the weight would have gone over 5kg.