guppy fry question

sid 201

hi all.

got a couple of female and one male guppy in my planted tank with 6 golden pencil fish.

yesterday i noticed 2 fry :bounce: (about5mm) hanging around the plants-this is the first time I've ever had young of any type of fish-Ijust want to know :-

1, roughly how old would these be ?

2,do guppies drop all at once or over several days?-both females are still quite large

3,is special fry food realy required?-fish are being fed flake every day and frozen blood worm every other

any advice would be appreciated-Cheers all

1, roughly how old would these be ?

About a week or so ?

2,do guppies drop all at once or over several days?-both females are still quite large

At once.

3,is special fry food realy required?-fish are being fed flake every day and frozen blood worm every other

Not required, just crush up some of your flake in to a fine powder so they can get some.

I'm suprised they would be a week old,I watch the fish most evenings and hadnt seen any sign of fry before yesterday-guess the plants do a good job as hiding places.

I should have asked in my first post -whats the "normal" number of fry per drop?

Since theres only two fry (that I've seen) I guess the other fish or the filter have got any others

I should have asked in my first post -whats the "normal" number of fry per drop?

Since theres only two fry (that I've seen) I guess the other fish or the filter have got any others

There is no "normal" number as such, the longer you have the fish, the more you come to expect a certain number from them.

Livebearer females do not always drop all at once, sometimes they can release more fry daily, there is a huge amount of factors that can attribute to this e.g. stress, water conditions, food availability, quality of food, wether or not shes a first time mother etc

Cheers Shae

• 2 weeks later...