Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

guppy fry question

Featured Replies

hi all.

got a couple of female and one male guppy in my planted tank with 6 golden pencil fish.

yesterday i noticed 2 fry :bounce: (about5mm) hanging around the plants-this is the first time I've ever had young of any type of fish-Ijust want to know :-

1, roughly how old would these be ?

2,do guppies drop all at once or over several days?-both females are still quite large

3,is special fry food realy required?-fish are being fed flake every day and frozen blood worm every other

any advice would be appreciated-Cheers all

1, roughly how old would these be ?

About a week or so ?

2,do guppies drop all at once or over several days?-both females are still quite large

At once.

3,is special fry food realy required?-fish are being fed flake every day and frozen blood worm every other

Not required, just crush up some of your flake in to a fine powder so they can get some.

  • Author

Thanks :bow:

I'm suprised they would be a week old,I watch the fish most evenings and hadnt seen any sign of fry before yesterday-guess the plants do a good job as hiding places.

I should have asked in my first post -whats the "normal" number of fry per drop?

Since theres only two fry (that I've seen) I guess the other fish or the filter have got any others

I should have asked in my first post -whats the "normal" number of fry per drop?

Since theres only two fry (that I've seen) I guess the other fish or the filter have got any others

There is no "normal" number as such, the longer you have the fish, the more you come to expect a certain number from them.

Livebearer females do not always drop all at once, sometimes they can release more fry daily, there is a huge amount of factors that can attribute to this e.g. stress, water conditions, food availability, quality of food, wether or not shes a first time mother etc

Cheers Shae

  • 2 weeks later...

the number of fry produced also depends on the size of the girls.

i had 2 adult females drop 25 fry each on 1 day and a young female drop about 6 the next.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.