full side overflows and returns

Rockerpeller

ok i made a little diagram of how i want to set up my tank. plumbing will have to be adjusted for tank differences but this is just a planning stage.

tanksumpdiagramry7.th.jpg

i wanted to hide the plumbing a bit more then normal without sacrificing water movement. directional heads can be put on a few of the returns to kill dead spots in the tank.

now is there any reason why this setup wouldn't work? i was contemplating maybe a 1 way valve to stop water flow back into the sump through the return.

as you can see i went with the stockman overflow, but i've planned enough room to change it to a durso should the twin stockmans deem insufficient.

Any feedback would be appreciated. :)

Looks interesting. In regard to your return spary nozzles, you may find that you will get almost all of the flow out the nozzle closest to the return if your nozzle size isn't small enough.

Do you plan on getting equal flow down each overflow?

What skimmer are you using?

What return pump?

KP

i was going to buy a return pump and skimmer from jetskisteve

Pump: Luguna 5

Skimmer: Aquamedic T1000

and yes i was gonna restrict the spray heads closest to the return piping to try and even out all the flow. i plan on using a sort of rack system so the live rock will get constant waterflow around as much of the surface as possible, and to get it off the substrate as well.

i wanted to try out false sidewalls instead a false back because i want to make a tank stand that wraps the front of the tank. that way i can do adjustments from behind the stand and not worry about piping getting in my way.

I don't think it matters much if you have the same flow down each overflow. All that matters is that the flow into the tank equals the flow out of the tank.:) But that's what overflows do automatically.

The reason I asked is because alot of people don't like alot of flow through their refugium.

Were you planing to use a pump to feed the skimmer?

IMO it would be more beneficial to pumb your overflow directly into the skimmer. A T can be installed before the skimmer to divert some of the water if you are getting too much flow.

KP

now that i fully think about it, restricting the 2nd overflow wouldn't work. i may have to get both overflows to join with a pvc pipe which has two lines off it. 1 to the fuge and 1 to the skimmer section. the fuge line will have a valve to slow down flow thru that section.

i think modifying the fuge a little would help too. instead of having bubble traps, just have a single piece of glass that keeps the water level high and plumb a piece of pvc with an elbow thru the wall and into the return pump section...

that way there is heaps of room should the return pump stop working.

so many choices... :lol:

your returm pump is too small . with 6 outlets you will not get much flow,especially with the head height and bends reducing the flow. better to look at two outlets.

If you get a Deltec turbo skimmer you can just put it in the sump with no plumbing required or any extra pump.

One overflow should be more than enough for the tank as you are also taking tank space away by have two overflows.

Is the tank in the wall??.

i wanted to try out false sidewalls instead a false back because i want to make a tank stand that wraps the front of the tank. that way i can do adjustments from behind the stand and not worry about piping getting in my way.

:D:D

go single overflow, have return split into two as you have shown (although get the split done into correct sized piping - post size of return outlet and i'll tell you what plumbing you need) if it's in-sump skimmer (which i dont think t1000 is) then have overflow feed directly into sump, if not then T off the overflow and gravity feed the skimmer as KP mentioned, any excess water goes to the refugium. that way, maximum flow through skimmer, minimal flow through refugium, return T'd to give good random water flow at either end of the tank.

your returm pump is too small . with 6 outlets you will not get much flow,especially with the head height and bends reducing the flow. better to look at two outlets.

If you get a Deltec turbo skimmer you can just put it in the sump with no plumbing required or any extra pump.

One overflow should be more than enough for the tank as you are also taking tank space away by have two overflows.

:D u think he's loaded :D

lol jetski hit nail on the head. i can only dream of a deltic atm...

i think i will opt for 1 overflow... unless i go bigger then 5".

and thanks for the sump link kp :)

From aquamedic site http://www.aqua-medic.com/products/prod ... nd%20Alone

the T1000 is designed to intake the water exiting the overflow of your tank. By delivering the surface skimmed water directly into the reaction chamber of the T1000, efficiency is maximized

What does In-sump mean? Sits in sump water? Picks up water from sump?

yea i was confused by that as well. i downloaded the instruction manual to make sure and it can take water straight from the overflow but that means spending more money to get the ballvalve(which jetskisteve pointed out).

meh i'd be happy just having it actually in my sump running full tilt rather then thinkin of the technical ways of using the actual skimmer.

this tank is getting even closer to completion thanks to the info on this site and all you helpful people. :)

The t1000 can be run in sump, I am.

Agree with Reef the return pump is too small to drive all those outlets, plus you wont have any randomness. Why not go with 1 over flow (it is all you need) and use the space at the other end to drop in some pumps. Another option would be to drill some more holes and put in some closed loops.

What size is the tank? You need 20+ times turn over so I'm guessing that pumps wouldn't be enough by itself anyway

yea i was looking at getting some more pumps with closed loops. perhaps a couple SCWDs as well. i really don't like the looks of powerheads and such which is another reason why i was looking at fake sidewalls.

i also know to restrict the return to minimise microbubbles thanks to the link KP gave me. perhaps 2 closed loops with adjustable flow heads like what i found on the SomethingFishy.co.nz site.

i will settle for 1 overflow like you mentioned however. just thinking of how i can set-up the plumbing to make sure i still can make all the adjustments from the back without having to battle past tubing.