Brass or Plastic Plumbing Fittings?

Rockerpeller

Plastic should be cheaper too. The water that is going through the copper plumbing in your house (if you even have much of it besides your taps) isn't in contact with it for very long, where as depending on where you are using it in your tank it could be in contact for long periods, giving it time to leach.

how will it react in a marine environment? thats why i was leaning more toward plastic. i know there are traces of arsenic in brass from memory. found out about it at my last job. i'll see whether i can get plastic fittings thru my old mates... no harm in trying. cheers for that alan

i was gonna be getting these fittings for free or extremely cheap suphew. :lol: thats why i thought it might pay to ask before i commit myself to completing the plumbing then having to break it all down and swap to plastic. cheers anyway. :D

If you are going to use them in marine then you definately can't use the copper/brass fittings. All inverts are very sensitive to copper and it will kill them quick smart. Also the PH in a marine tank will make them break down faster then normal fresh water. Have read/heard stories of people dropping brass screws and copper wire into their tanks by accident and killing everything, don't know if this is true but there is no way I would risk it.

You get a type of corrosion called dezincafication where the zinc is corroded out and a honeycomb of copper is left behind then that is dissolved away as well. In corrosive conditions they use special alloys like bell metal. In the good old days they used to drop a penny or copper wool into a tank to treat for white spot and remove it when the snails try to climb out.

so if its safe for us it will be safe for fish

And that is why we declorinate our water before adding to our fish tanks ??

Quite often I have my doubts as to what is and isn't safe in my "potable" water from the city.... Do a google on Walkerton sometime!!

That is not why we declorinate the water, but it is why the Local Authority will adjust the pH of the water supply so it is not corrosive. In the good old days when the water mains were galvinized pipe and fire places had a caste iron wet back there was enough iron in the system for the copper to be protected by a copper/iron amalgum in the first few weeks of its life. Now when wet backs are copper and pipes are plastic or ac it is corrosion heaven

I was being a smart arse regarding declorinate the water..

Kinda pointing out the "hoops" we go through for our fish to have "safe" water vs. just filling a glass from the tap to give to our kids.

(Side note I have a filter system on my kitchen taps as I don't want to drink or even cook with the water the town/city says is "safe")

That is not why we declorinate the water, but it is why the Local Authority will adjust the pH of the water supply so it is not corrosive.

The CCC don't adjust pH, it just comes as is out of the ground

We have a completely untreated artesian supply so the fish and us love it

Clorine is added every now and then

Yeah the shallow wells are like 10m deep, they are mixing the water from the shallow wells with water from the deeper ones to balance the ph. All the new wells now are going to be 30m + so they won't have the same problem.

The also use clorine on some of the resivors from time to time.