October 22, 200619 yr comment_127113 Just got 2 of these bettas, was just wondering if anyone else has had any experience with them. They're in quarantine at the moment, and just wondering if they should be in a species tank or in by themselves, or whether they'll be ok in a discus tank? By chance anyone know how to sex them? They're supposed to be males, but I have some doubts. Report
October 22, 200619 yr comment_127136 If you got them from holly...... I think they may be females... look >>> Betta simorum http://www.fishbase.org/Photos/Thumbnai ... p?ID=27439 http://www.ibc-smp.org/species/simorum.html http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/encyclopedia-153.html Report
October 22, 200619 yr Author comment_127168 Heres a pic of one of em, they keep on hiding, so its hard to get a good pic. And try to ignore the huge ramshorn... :oops: The other is hiding at the back. Report
October 24, 200619 yr Author comment_127520 Just an update on the simorums, their in their own tank, and settling in just fine. They were really shy at first, but now they're all over the place. They look much different now, since their in their own tank, noticing things about them I hadn't noticed before. Still trying to dig up more info on them tho. Thinking about putting my queen arab plecos in with them. I'm beginning to think I might have a pair, noticing subtle differences in the two of them, but not 100%. Two of them in their new home - 60L low light planted tank with anubiases, java ferns and moss. pH6.0, with 28 degrees celsius. With eheim aquaball 2010. Lots of current, and they seem to love it. They're ignoring all flake and pellet food, but going to town on bloodworms. Looks like they're gonna be picky eaters. They both love the hiding places, bamboo caves and driftwood is definately a must, cos they were miserable in the quarantine tank (only gravel) Ya can see the current doesn't bother them from this pic. They like hanging around the outlet. Anyways theres a stripey one with a big tummy, and a more streamlined one. Don't know if thats one of the differences between the sexes, anyone know if thats the case for other bettas? Anyhoo, heres one of them And the other one And another one Ya can see the differences between the tummies, dunno if thats significant or not. Anyways, still out for more info on them, if anyone has them or knows anything about them, I'd love to pick your brains. Queen arabesques plecos might go in this weekend just to see if they can handle flatmates Report
October 24, 200619 yr comment_127539 Looks like they may prefer live food. Try them on mossie larvae and also white worms, flies are also starting to appear, and they'd munch down on them too. If they are a pair, they should start getting that happy look in their eyes on that diet. Alan 104 Report
June 8, 200917 yr Author comment_310957 WoohoOO! After 2 years of trying I finally have fry ! Just three of them, found them as I was cropping back the infestation of indian fern Just had to share ! Report
June 8, 200917 yr comment_310961 are you serious - its taken that long and the original pair are still alive. well done, fantastic!!! Report
June 8, 200917 yr comment_310983 are you serious - its taken that long and the original pair are still alive. well done, fantastic!!! Just have to agree with that Good work on keeping them alive and good work on the spawn! Report
June 8, 200917 yr comment_311002 I don't know anything about these fish, but just wanted to say good on you for quarantining them! Most people don't, but it saves so much hassle and stress. Even if fish come from an apparently healthy tank owned by a friend, quarantine should always be recommended. (yes I do realise it was posted two years ago, but it is still a valid point, and like everyone else, well done on keeping them so long!) Report
June 9, 200917 yr comment_311081 Well done on keeping them alive and spawning them. I hope you have another go at spawning them as I don't think they are on the list any more ...... Betta coccina Betta imbellis Betta pugnax Betta splendens Report
June 9, 200917 yr Author comment_311140 lol yeah a VERY happy chappy!! The parents have done well considering they have survived 3 house moves, 2 failed filter incidences including an electrical fault sending current into the water for 2 days... will post some pics some time of the babies if they hold still enough Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.