October 19, 200619 yr comment_126803 Some one please Check HFF, Frost Rd for me?? I was impressed with the bettas that they had about half way down the long wall and I think the middle row. I'd appreciate it if you or any one else could check out the name that they have up for them. They were NOT Betta splendens either. I think they were two males, and if they had of been a pair, they'd be in my tank now. Ulun 104 Report
October 21, 200619 yr comment_127007 Does anyone know what kind of water parameters they need, and what are the suitable tank mates? Hard to get much info from the web. Awesome looking fish. Report
October 21, 200619 yr Author comment_127017 Adult fish: 4-5 inches (12cm) in length, sexually diamorphic, mouthbrooder, non-aggressive, can be kept in a community tank. Aquarium Parameters: pH 5.8-6.5: soft, lightly acidic water. Temp: 71-770 F(22-250C), low light, floor fish, plants Foods: Live/frozen foods I may have made an error in deciding that they were not a pair. See if you can get them, they IMO had a good price, and may not get imported again. Ulun 104 Report
October 21, 200619 yr comment_127061 Thanks Alan, I've been back to HFF twice in the last week, trying to decide whether to get them. They lady that served me today said that they had a female, but it died, and the two there were males. The water in the tank is about 25 degrees atm, but I came across this on my travels: Temperament: Peaceful Company: Keep Betta simorum (Simor Fighter) with species of the same size. Water parameters: Temperature 27ºC / 80°F; pH 4.5 - 7.0 Aquarium setup: Betta simorum (Simor Fighter) should be kept in an aquarium with a lot of plants that are planted densely to create hiding places. The aquarium should also contain floating plants. Feeding: Betta simorum (Simor Fighter) accepts most frozen and live food. May accept flakes. Breeding: Unknown ... And not much else. Sounds similar to my discus setup if above, might boot out my SAEs from the main tank to make room. If not, will set them up in a tank by their lonesome. Been thinking about them all week, so it looks like another trip to HFF, and hope like mad they are still there. Report
October 21, 200619 yr Author comment_127062 ljtan55, if they are two males, then I'd be very wary about getting them both and having them in the same tank together. They aren't called "fighters" for nothing. Ulun 104 Report
October 22, 200619 yr comment_127102 Hey all, sorry to say but i was also looking at them but i got told another story from the younger guys working there. I was told that they didnt know if they were m or f because they couldn't tell the difference. I would love to add them to my collection but I have too many tanks already. I am thinking about sacrificing a 29L breeding tank for them. To whoever gets them I wish you great success with them. Report
October 22, 200619 yr comment_127114 Cool thanks Aaron, I just got them today, they're in a 40L tank atm being quarantined. Just read this post after I started another thread about them. The guy said it was unlikely they were going to get any more but to put your name down just in case. Dont suppose you'd know if they'd be alright with cardinals? Report
October 22, 200619 yr comment_127115 I went to see these bettas today that everyone was talking about. They are great and I was really keen to buy them but did not want to incur my parents wrath for another tank in my room! Anyway I watched them for a while. There were two and they were both around the same size but one was a duller tan colour and confident swimming in the front of the tank. The other one was lurking in the back but was more colourful with a green blue gleam on it. The more confident one would chase the other one. I actually think it might be a male and female, if it was two males I think they might harrass each other more. I thought that they were like a cross between a paradise fish and a betta splendens myself thats how I would describe them. Either way they were great fish and whoever has the room or inclination to buy these fish would be lucky. I found this picture of a pair doesn't really help much though in identifying them they look really simillar! http://s4.invisionfree.com/GLBSFORUMS/ar/t81.htm Report
October 22, 200619 yr comment_127116 Oh I just read you bought them - Good luck they are really excellent fish congrats! I see you live in Dannemora, we are in Howick and made our first trip to HFF to see these bettas. We will definitely go back again awesome fish there and definitely worth the travel! Report
October 22, 200619 yr comment_127120 Cool Mel, yeah its a great place to go for a good selection of fish, try to make it up that way about once a month. But been back 3 times this week trying to make up my mind! Thought I'd better get them before labour day just in case someone else got them before me. They had a little bit of a scuffle on the way home, but otherwise seem to like hanging out with each other atm... Might post some pictures up sometime to see if anyone can sex them. But around the Howick region, Goldfish Pagoda, Jansens and the one at Botany Town Centre are the only fish places I know about. I think they're openning "Pet Boutique" down in Botany Junction mid november, so it'll be interesting to see if they're gonna have a big fish section. Report
October 22, 200619 yr comment_127132 Awesome, well done and good luck with them How much were they? Report
October 22, 200619 yr comment_127194 Hey Ltjan55, saw your pic in the other thread - really cool fish! About the pet stores, theres also Pet Corner at Westfield Pakuranga has ok fish, a pet shop in Howick Rices Mall which has a few fish but there all really good quality and also puppys closet in meadowlands which has some plastic hooded tanks at good prices, no fish though. Thats about all in our area but I have been to Bird Barn in Henderson and that was well worth the trip! Good luck with the new Bettas would love some updates when you manage to sex them and breed them possibly? Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.