Woohoo - Going Tropical :)

Lady-Lene

Well the new tank is cycled and goldfish and WCMM have a new home to go to on the weekend - a large pond. And not before time - after one decided to lay egss! After two days of crashing and bashing about the tank my plants are totally battered and most have taken up new positions floating on the top - exept for java fern - its in a million little pieces!

My heater has arrived and I'm almost ready to go ..... Now what to put in there???????

Some suggestions please for some 'small' tropicals (tank only 100 ltr) that are not too temperamental for a tropical beginner. I don't want them to eat each other - that would be plain 'nasty'.

I have a little 2 foot tropical tank which has some serpae tetras, longfin zebra danios, hi-fin platties (which are really awesome looking fish), a bolivian/chinese(depending on which shop you go to) ram, and a few guppies...

They all get on well and tend to occupy different levels of the tank which makes it look pretty cool.

The ram is my favourite simply because he's so cute and has a worried look all the time,and so much character!. I would definitely suggest a dwarf cichlid of some sort once the tank is a bit more established with your peaceful inhabitants, they are choice to watch and very interactve with people too. :D

Thanks for your suggestions .... heres what I'm thinking of putting in there (after much researching). Trying to stay away from anything that breeds too easily.

5 Cardinal Tetras or Neons

5 Harlequin Rasbora

5 long fin Zebra Danios

3 Platys (two female 1 male)

3 Corydoras panda (can you get them here?)

2 Dwarf Gourami

2 Dwarf Cichlids

I'll add them slowly in the order above. I have to decided before I get to my LFS what I'm gonna buy or I'll come home with something entirely different :D lol

Anyone see any problem with those all together. Not too many for a 100 ltr tank?

Cheers in advance .... :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Hi, I like your list! :D

I think it is a few too many for a 100l tank. Add the platy first, as they are much hardier than the cardinals.

Personally, I would drop the dwarf gourami, and replace them with another two panda corys - these like to be in groups of at least four.

Good luck!

I'd leave out the Platys cause they breed really well.

And instead of:

5 Cardinal Tetras or Neons

5 Harlequin Rasbora

5 long fin Zebra Danios

I'd just get 10 of one sort and give them a chance to school. And If you can afford it I'd choose Cardinals over Neons because of the extra colour.

Even if they breed, the offspring are easy to get rid of (sell, give away, feed to other fish), assuming the babies weren't already eaten by the parents. To breed platys you need to provide cover for the babies etc, unlikely to get overrun with them. They're a good beginner fish all round. Low cost, hardy, peaceful and lots of colour variations.

i have read dwarf gouramis can be one of those hit or miss fish. some batches that come in are really weak in infested with parasites while others will be fine. if you could get them off a person that has healthy fish and breeds them- that way you dont have to risk getting sick imports.

also some apistogramma can be quite touchy so be sure to do some research and add them later down the track once the tanks mature. the cockatoos or orange flash varities are really neat, colourful fish that have big personalities for their small size

Oh no ..... :cry::cry::cry::cry:

I visited LFS and discovered my tank is not nearly big enough to accomodate all the fish I will 'NEED'. :lol: Might have to get a bigger tank next year. Got hubby a little interested though .... so that might not be as difficult as I thought .... :lol: :lol: I'm sure once he lays eyes on those cute little darlings he will want a bigger tank.

My revised list:

8 Cardinal Tetras

8 Harlequin Rasbora

3 long fin Zebra Danios

4 Corydoras panda

Possibly 3 male platys (I'll see how the tank holds up - although its filtering at 1000 l/h and water is chrystal clear. We'll see ...

I've taken off the gauramis and cichlids as they appear 'touchy'. Thanks so much for your help.

One more question .... Do fish school within their species? For instance if I got two spotted and two panda corys would they hang out together?

Cheers