Not so good

reef

hi i am realativly new to this hobby and will only buy cultured or captive breed fish. i have a small aquarim which i have run now for three and a bit years in that time i have lost one anemone due to a local pet shop giving me the wrong info. Just recently i lost a bangai cardinal ( which was captive breed i know this as i know the breeder.) My bangai was eaten by a recently aquired bta just saw the last of it disappering in to the btas mouth. My perculas are captive breed ( same breeder) Now having all the flashest of equipment would be nice but impossible on a single income. So thru careful maitanence and REGULAR water changes i have a healthy aquarim where i have good growth rates on both my corals and fish. So it is possible to have a nice aquarim on a very modest budget. By the way i have lived in Tonga for thee years and have veiwed the massacre of reefs due to explosives to create or widen shipping channels. The destruction caused by run of from near by piggerys is also disheartning. I see that the aquarim is a way of insuring the survival of these stunning reefs. And where would this hobby be today if it wasnt for the early aquarist tacking stock from the wild and percerving with it. Anyway thats my veiw. And sorry for the spelling mistakes.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's see...

For fish and shrimp I've bought,not counting glass shrimp and snails from the ocean

5 dead, 5 surviving. 50% survival rate

Corals bought, not counting frags

9 dead, 1 surviving(My H Crispa) 10% survival rate

So...I think I'll just be buying frags from now on as far as corals go.

Let's see...

For fish and shrimp I've bought,not counting glass shrimp and snails from the ocean

5 dead, 5 surviving. 50% survival rate

Corals bought, not counting frags

9 dead, 1 surviving(My H Crispa) 10% survival rate

So...I think I'll just be buying frags from now on as far as corals go.

not counting frags does that mean they're all doing well?

That article was terrible in fact......

Heres why....

The statement "locals think the numbers have decreased"" this is opinion not fact.

The other thing that clown fish stop the algae on the coral reef... i'm not so sure... I read that this was due to global warming that LPS corals were being bleached and dying, ....ONCE dead the algae grows on the dead coral skeleton.

I do agree that we take alot from the ocean... but I frag corals to share, and try really hard to keep my tank in good health.

What about the drag net fishing, how many fish are taken in a year, or snapper fishing around the country??? whats the daily limit you can catch??? Or the trees that get cut down in the amazon...

We are all resonsible for our planet, which can handle evrything in moderatation...

Who knows with global warming killing reefs, maybe in hundreds of years when the world cools down a little, people may get their tank rasied corals and put them back into the sea to start off new coral reefs.... food for thought ah..

Bleak future. Considering all things, the hobby is not doing as much damage as other factors.

Check this -

Quote "Under the worst-case scenario, coral populations will collapse by 2100 and the re-establishment of coral reefs will be highly unlikely over the following 200-500 years."

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/02/ ... 41007.html

Quote - "This whitening and then death of corals began to be known in a few areas in the 1980s. I became involved in 1997-98 when there was extremely widespread coral bleaching around all the oceans in the tropics," he said.

More than 60 countries experienced coral bleaching. The latest evidence showed overwhelmingly that the bleaching was due to a steady, almost inevitable rise in ocean temperatures, now climbing at the rate of 1-2C every 100 years".

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines01/0906-02.htm

Quote - "t the 9th International Conference on Coral Reefs scientists reached a consensus that climate change will have an unambiguous and critical impact on the worlds coral reefs.And the Great Barrier Reef could be dead within 50 to 100 years."

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/science/earth/ ... 211822.htm

Quote - "Coral bleaching events have been increasing in both frequency and extent worldwide in the past 20 years."

http://www.marinebiology.org/coralbleaching.htm

Quote - "The science tells us that it is climate change which is killing coral reefs. The water is getting hotter, the corals are basically being cooked by these very hot waters because they live right close to the edge of their tolerance already. And we hope that they can adapt fast enough, but it may be a forlorn hope."

Terry Done

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/science/ ... _2-01.html

first of all i am glade i am not the only one still up :D

More than 60 countries experienced coral bleaching. The latest evidence showed overwhelmingly that the bleaching was due to a steady, almost inevitable rise in ocean temperatures, now climbing at the rate of 1-2C every 100 years".

wow bleaching just from a 1 to2 degrees different how ever do u guys keep these things in tanks :o

You ever sleep? :lol:

That 1 or 2 degree rise is deceptive. Most of us could raise the temperature of our tank 2 degrees with almost no effect.

What happens in the wild is that there are temperature swings. So over the centuries, reefs have established where the minimum and maximum temperatures all fall within the tolerance of the organisms living there. But, if you raise average temperature a degree or 2, then those maximums are going to go over the limit for some species, specially if, as happened recently on the barrier reef, there is a heat wave which is sustained for several months.

I have got eggs from my Maroon Clowns they are nearly ready to hatch and they are on a rock I can take out.

I have a spare tank and power head and heater, can I put the rock in there and they will hatch and how do I feed them and what do I feed them? anyone know if it would work if yes I will give it a go

rotifers are alive. The babies NEED rotifers. The problem is that if the food isn't alive they don't know to eat it, so you need the rotifers to envoke a feeding responce. The rotifers are the easy part, the next problem is feeding the rotifers. Which is where the algae comes in, you need HUFA enriched algae to feed to the rotifers so they provide a good quality of food for the clowns. keeping the algae alive is a CHORE.

I am with cookie, its hard, and 10x harder in NZ because if you culture dies no one else can give you another culture.

If someone started a culture and made it easy for the rest of us we would have clowns comming out our ears.

You can buy HUFA enriched rotifer food, which I have tried. I also smuggled (sorry maf) some rotifer cysts from the US. I had little success with the rotifer food.

If anyone gets it right and is prepared to share, I am sure we would all be into it.

Pie

http://www.grisda.org/origins/10051.htm

a time spanned by the dates 1450 AD to about 1850 AD when, at least in the Northern Hemisphere, there appeared to be temperatures much cooler than at present, a time which some have named the "Little Ice Age."

The period just before the Little Ice Age — 1100-1300 — also presents a weather anomaly. It was characteristically different from the present day in that average temperatures were higher. Thus a more marked shift to a colder time is more visible in the historical record.

Are the current temperature shifts really anything new? The little ice age wiped out the Vikings in Greenland and they were growing grape crops in Southern England during the warm period because the climate was like Northern France. Why did it get so warm and then so cold? Not global warming. How did the reefs cope then. They survived those changes.

You have to be up 2.30 in the morning to feed them! :lol:

That's dedication! :o

What kind of fish are they?

well i am some what a night crawler myself :D so although the tank light turns off at 10 i am still up with the lights on so they dont come out till couple of hours after compete darkness thats when i come out with my torch :lol: :lol: i am in the processing of setting a bigger tank with moon lighting at the other side of the house so i wouldn't have to do this anymore. :roll:

most of them are plecos, its mostly the wild caught ones that are really nocturnal and couple of eels.

Interesting Fishboi sounds like a real menagerie how big is your tank?

Petplanet that was a great article, thanks for posting. I have heard of that mini ice age but have never seen a decent examination of it, a fascinating read!

Hard to imagine the Eskimos defeating the Vikings! :lol:

For anyone interested in global warming I'd highly reccommend "An Inconvenient Truth" (Al Gores movie).

I read a few reviews from different science groups and they all said he presented the facts accurately. There's a guy in the Bush administration who is one of Gores biggest critics (in the movie he makes a brief appearance saying that "global warming is the biggest hoax ever to be pulled on the American public") and his reply to the facts presented in the movie was so poor it didnt meet the scientific journals criteria to be published.

Anyway an interesting fact from the movie, there was a study done in 2004 of all the scientific articles that contain the words "Global Climate Change" in their keywords.

Out of 918 article abstracts, not a single one of them said that humans were NOT the cause of global warming(a big ploy of the Bush admin).

So Gore makes the point that while 0% of peer reviewed science says that humans have not caused global warming, 53% of publications in popular media suggest this.

George W. has stated that he "probably wont watch it", which isnt at all surprising. I'm glad he's finally almost out - and much less popular to boot. :D

You will probably find it shocking and very sad, (well I did) but it does give a bit of hope too. 8)