too much O2????

suemack

ongoing saga of the kuhlis........ :o one has been living in the watersprite in the top of the tank for the last week or so. Got home tonight and there was another up there. Looked like it could be breathing slightly abnormally though colour was good. Have had the kuhlis for about a yr and they've never done this before.

Tested all water parameters - nothing out of the norm - nil ammonia, nitrite, pH 6.8 - no nitrate kit so couldn't test that, GH is always soft as am on rainwater. Temp 26. Tank is 10 gallon with UGF and Aquaclear mini. Airpump is running a long airstone and the UGF. No new residents. Neons and guppies (including newish fry) are all showing no signs of stress. Frequent w/changes done in the tank as my guppies seem to do better if I do.

Caryl suggested that there could be too much O2 in the tank(never heard of this) - any thoughts or ideas would be really welcome

sue

I don't think it's possible to have too much O2 in the water...I suppose if you get into it being supersaturated so that it bubbles like coke does, but otherwise...

I think most likely they just like it there and haven't discovered it until now. Khuli loaches usually like hiding in leaves and plants.

I'd never heard of too much O2 either but it was something that Caryl was talking about last night.

the only thing in the tank that could be worrying them is the 2 keyholes that are too young to be breeding............but then very late last night they (the keyholes) were doing little dances together, shaking..... and moving gravel around in one corner of the tank :( .........does this mean what I think?

And if they are getting ready to breed could they be giving the kuhlis a bit of grief

It was something I thought I remembered reading from somewhere. I know nothing about adding o2 to aquariums but know that, as with everything, balance is the key. I wondered whether there was more oxygen at the top levels than the bottom. Besides which, when you said o2 I was thinking CO2 being added for the plants. Probably totally off the track :oops:

Having the kuhlis in the top of the plants is one thing, having them there as they appear stressed is another

Sometimes after a water change some of my plants appear to send out a stream of air bubbles over 10 bubbles a second, sometimes the rate is a lot slower maybe 1 per second.

I wonder if this is due to an excessive O2 level? as when I mix the cold with hot water it comes out of the tap quite aerated.

Any ideas?

the water will only take on as much oxygen as it can handle, the rest will escape into the atmosphere. The only time you could over saturate the water with o2 would be if your tank was having o2 pumped into it with no outlet ( a bit like a sodastream, only o2 instead of co2). however I don't know of any fish tanks that can be pressurised like that.

I wondered whether there was more oxygen at the top levels than the bottom.

that's true in most aquariums..... generally speaking.

how r the kuhlis Sue?

If they're off colour n off food, and don't respond to increase aeration n water changes, i'll b worried. Gill problems can b fatal( this might just b a behavioural thing??)

hi Wayne

the kuhlis look fine, colour normal and they do seem to be coming down at night when the lights in the tank are out - sat and watched the tank late the other night. If it was a water quality thing I would have imagined the neons would have shown some sign but they are bright and chirpy as usual.

the keyholes are more active than they used to be (kids are growing up!) and I may have to move the kuhlis to a more peaceful environment - :o that'll be fun - had to catch them once before - took me most of the afternoon!

Its not possible to put too much O2 into the water. Even with massive and evenly spread o2 injection you'd wouldn't get better than about 11ppm. 9ppm is about saturated (I think, - could be out by ±1ppm - I'm writing this from memory). After 9ppm the O2 gases out of the water as it's not actually very soluable in water.

One of the best ways to acheive saturation is by having lots of plants and CO2 injection. Under the right circumstances you'll get continuous gasing of O2 from the water surface.

It's more likely to be lack of O2. If all the other fish look fine, I'd look for something else. Temperature maybe or maybe they are trying to hide from something during the day.