chimera's needs help

Fay

Yes I'm REALLY careful with potassium dosing, didn't lose anything but had a negative effect ( browning & just not looking right somehow ) when I dosed according to what I saw people saying in a zeo thread. Pretty sure if I continued more serious harm could have resulted. Now I dose it, but at a lower rate than what they do in the US.

I think their dose rates are based on people using ASW that is deficient in it, but we are using NSW that already has the right amount, more or less.

I'm still convinced of the value of potassium, but in very small doses.

So what happened to you may have involved potassium, although if it did, the potassium could not be the only factor, as how you describe what has happened is not the normal symptoms of potassium overdose. IMHO it was other factors, but the potassium may have been there in the mix somewhere, or may not, who knows?

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, just had another look at your dose rate - Quote "initial dosing was 1ml per 100 litres for the first 4 days then twice weekly after that".

Not a high rate, to me anyway, I would consider that totally safe. It's less than what I'm dosing now.

Potassim. Jeez Chim, didn't you snap at someone the other day because you only make 1 change every 3 months or something... Stop dosing everything and anything. Water, skimmer, food for the fish and animals. Surley adding trace elements and other guff is only going to make things more difficult to resolve.

Pie

Chimera if you didn't have a way to test K and you were adding it but not doing water changes - possibly it accumulated?

yes.

lesson 1, dont add without finding out what you got first :D dont think that would be solely the issue though. still going down the carbon/light path - simply was escalated by the potassium dosing probably. anyways, damage has been done, no use dwelling over it.

love my new sailfin, nice to have SOMETHING that looks good in the tank :lol: time to redo the rockwork and start over.

yes.

lesson 1, dont add without finding out what you got first :D dont think that would be solely the issue though. still going down the carbon/light path - simply was escalated by the potassium dosing probably. anyways, damage has been done, no use dwelling over it.

love my new sailfin, nice to have SOMETHING that looks good in the tank :lol: time to redo the rockwork and start over.

your having problems but adding more fish??

your having problems but adding more fish??

you obviously have not read this thread very well

it's solely a problem with acros, all fish have been, and still are completely fine, swimming, eating, interacting completely normally. if i had any reservations about the issues I've recently had causing problems with the livestock, I wouldn't have even considered it.

you obviously have not read this thread very well

it's solely a problem with acros, all fish have been, and still are completely fine, swimming, eating, interacting completely normally. if i had any reservations about the issues I've recently had causing problems with the livestock, I wouldn't have even considered it.

Yip i have been reading. Somethings not right though a. So why add more stock to a tank thats not quite right.

I thought the problem was with all the corals not just acros???

Somethings not right though a. So why add more stock to a tank thats not quite right.

coz it's a problem that causes issues with corals, not fish. why add more? i am feeding heavily trying to get nitrates up, adding another fish will cause more waste and help towards it too. and anyway, i like the sailfin :D

I thought the problem was with all the corals not just acros???

yes, all (most) corals. ALL acro's are effected, most are dead. most lps are effected, all are alive.

yeah a little while ago!

back to the thread, another 200 litre water change today (just over 20%) some acro's in the last week that were fine are still slowly bleaching. is bleaching more from stress now as opposed to being nuked by UV? lights are only on for 3hrs a day still. pretty much every acro dead now, even my beautiful pink poc :x also have a tri-colour i got from pies quite some time ago that also got bleached but has some zoox still holding on. looks like it *may* recover.

even my beautiful pink poc

Ouch!

When I had my problems I did some big water changes, the immediate effect was to make things worse, I think because the corals were so weakened that any change was hard for them to tolerate.

Probably longer term it was good, but not straight away.