Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Increase outflow volume??!

Featured Replies

I was just wondering if anyone has a trick to increase the volume of an outflow pipe?! I can't give the pipe any more head but can I add a whole in the top or something to let the air and or water flow more efficiently?!?! The pipe is a standard drainage pipe (40mm I think) and has a few 90 deg. bends in it but I can't streamline it anymore...

I'll put a pic up later tonight but ANY ideas would be great!

Thanks :)

Maybe you need to explain a bit more what you are trying to do?? The correct answer to your question is to get a bigger pipe, but I don't think this is what you are really asking. Do you want more of a blast coming out of the pipe? If so put a reducer on the end and you will get more of a jet. Or do you want more water flowing through the pipe? If this is the case you either need a bigger pump or remove the restrictions in the pipe, i.e. lower the head height, either remove or replace 90d bends with wide radius (or 2x45d) bends.

  • Author

Sorry its not very clear I know! I'll put up a pic when I get home which should make it easier to understand - but I'm stuck with the size of hole in the glass and have no way of increasing the head/pressure to the pipe as the outflow is from a box at the top of the tank... I'll post a pic later!

  • Author

untitled-2.jpg

Does that help??!

Do you think expanding the diameter of the pipe as soon as its trough the whole in the glass would help?!

Increasing the pipe size will decrease the friction loss but the incease in flow would not be noticed on a short length of pipe and would probably be compensated by the decrease in flow caused by he increased turbulence.

I'm not quite clear on this...Is the water flowing out of the tank though that pipe or is the water coming FROM the pipe?

If it's leaving the tank through the pipe, you might be able to get more flow with a smaller pipe, but have it siphoning and using an air valve to tweak it to match the flow of the pump.

Do you think expanding the diameter of the pipe as soon as its trough the whole in the glass would help?!

No cause it the hole that is restricting it, I assume there isn't anything on the bottom of that pipe restriting it or causing back pressure does it come out below the water line?

  • Author

Thanks for the posts guys!

I've just been playing with it and putting a small diameter silicone pipe (25mm) down inside the existing pipe to create a siphon works a treat! The pump is 3000lph and the pipe can now easily remove the water in the overflow box - it’s pretty loud but works so that’s all that matters at the moment!

Thanks Ira :)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.